FOOD DELIVERY

Peter4pne

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Can anyone recommend a diabetic friendly food delivery service. I am due to be at home on my own in august and I have arranged for carers to come in and prepare frozen meals but I can't source a supplier of diabetic meal supplier.

Any help will be appreciated.

zuludog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sorry Peter, but I don't know of anyone that does specifically diabetic meal delivery, but you might be OK if you do some homework

Search the lists of supermarkets that do home delivery (I think they all do now) for suitable meals, plus fruit & veg of course. It's summer so you should be able to do salads easily enough

Iceland do a decent selection of plain meat & fish, or in simple sauces plus they have a selection of stir fry veg, Mediterranean, mixed veg and so on. They do home delivery but again it's up to you to find out what they have

You could see what these have - www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com and www.oakhousefoods.co.uk
Otherwise Search t'Net for 'diabetic meals delivered uk'

Try Diabetes UK Careline - 0345 123 2399

I've just re-read your post, and I'm a bit confused
Do you want diabetic ready meals delivered, or will the carers be preparing the meal themselves, in which case ordering ingredients for them should be relatively straightforward

Last edited:

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Omelettes are low carb (which is really what you are looking for as a diabetic) and very easy to prepare, can be varied using different fillings like mushrooms, ham, cheese, onions and peppers and can be served with a simple salad to bulk them out. Unfortunately you are unlikely to be able to buy them as ready meals. Cooked breakfast without any bread or toast is another low carb option which can be eaten any time of day and simple to prepare.
It is difficult to find low carb ready meals as they usually incorporate potatoes or pasta or rice or noodles which are not good and many also have added sugar in the sauces as well. A roast dinner with plenty of veg and very little potatoes is good and you could always buy a ready meal and leave at least half of the potatoes or pasta or rice and avoid things like sweet and sour versions.

You need to go easy on fruit as it is also full of sugar and usually berries are lower in carbs than exotic fruits like pineapple, bananas and mangos etc. Raspberries are in season and one of the lowest carb fruits, so an ideal choice for diabetics. Nuts or cheese or olives are good low carbohydrate options for snacking.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wiltshire Farm Foods do low sugar main meals and desserts so you might find something suitable. You need to check as when we tried them a few years ago (lots of hospital visits were going on) I got the impression they thought diabetics watched sugar not carbs! The Slimming World ones stocked by Iceland might also be suitable.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Can anyone recommend a diabetic friendly food delivery service. I am due to be at home on my own in august and I have arranged for carers to come in and prepare frozen meals but I can't source a supplier of diabetic meal supplier.

Any help will be appreciated.
Hello Peter,
My dietitian suggested the Wiltshire farm foods ready meals mainly because a qualified dietitian worked for the firm so the carb count was more trustworthy in her opinion.
Dietitian did qualify this though by also adding that most of the frozen meal brands were balanced so not a problem as long as you choose wisely and watch the carb content.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Would it not be possible for whoever normally prepares your meals just make extra portions which you can keep in the freezer and could be got out as required. You could have a stock of cooked meats or tinned fish that you could have with salad.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Tesco do some microwave meals that could be suitable, they do frozen cheese omelettes, steam veg that can be microwaved, and I particularly like their cottage pie. If you get the one from the healthy range it’s made with vegetables in the mash and not too bad on carbs. They probably do things like fish in sauce too that can be microwaved.

SuperBee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have tried Wiltshire Farm Foods both directly and via Meals on Wheels (didn't know they were the supplier originally). My rating 2/5. If you shop with care Waitrose and other supermarkets Healthy Options can be good.