Food advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisLiz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone. My first chat with you all as I am a newbie and I could really use your help. I'm type 2, diagnosed 15 years ago, on insulin. Shielded with my 91 year old Mum throughout lockdown and now really struggling with anxiety. I was so overwhelmed when I went into town for the first time after lockdown that I was struck with stress related diarrhea (after full GP involvement & now officially diagnosed), something that has reoccurred several times at various medical appointments, caused me such distress and embarrassment to the point that I'm staying at home while waiting for therapy sessions to start, which may be some months away.
So, to my point, being on my own with my thoughts and anxiety, I cut so much out of my diet in an effort to eat so plainly but, of course, that hasn't helped at all because the upset tummy is caused by anxiety. I now have my sensible head on and realise that I have to eat healthily, just as I used to, and put up with the upset tummy until I get the therapy sessions.
I know that I should be eating white meat, fish, vegetables and a couple of types of fruit each day.
What do you suggest? Just start from tomorrow, immediately eating chicken and two veg for dinner, two types of fruit spread out during the day, or would you reintroduce one veg at a time, one fruit at a time? Thanks guys x

Welcome to the forum, it is hard for somebody in your situation to know where to turn, but if you could be a bit more specific about what you are asking, as advice and suggestions will depend on a number of factors such as what your HbA1c is and what insulin regime you are on, as foods you can eat will depend on that.
How well controlled was your diabetes before your recent problems?
Hopefully somebody who is Type 2 on insulin can chip in to offer some suggestions.

What type of foods have you been eating recently and what type of insulin’s are you taking? Depending on the type of insulin and how you decide the doses, it can be dangerous to make drastic dietary changes all at once and be safer to gradually make slow changes.

Ive been there with the stress diarrhoea and it is awful to cope with so you do have my sympathies on that and I hope it improves soon.

Welcome to the forum, it is hard for somebody in your situation to know where to turn, but if you could be a bit more specific about what you are asking, as advice and suggestions will depend on a number of factors such as what your HbA1c is and what insulin regime you are on, as foods you can eat will depend on that.
How well controlled was your diabetes before your recent problems?
Hopefully somebody who is Type 2 on insulin can chip in to offer some suggestions.
I'm really sorry, I think I was waffling on a bit. My levels are really well controlled. I'm on Humulin M3 twice a day. In a nutshell, I stupidly stopped eating veg and fruit for a week in a bid to stop the diarrhoea, but of course it's caused by the anxiety so I just have to put up with it until I get some professional help. I'm now going to go back to eating my normal food. I just wanted everyone's opinion. Jump straight back in to having two portions of veg and two portions of fruit each day, or gradually go back to them.

I’d go back to the fruit and veg gradually @ChrisLiz I’d also introduce the veg first and then do the fruit. I’d keep my portions small to start with, and then increase them to a normal size if all goes well. I think it’s worth taking things cautiously and gently even if the fruit and veg isn’t connected to your problems. Delicate tummies need careful care.

What type of foods have you been eating recently and what type of insulin’s are you taking? Depending on the type of insulin and how you decide the doses, it can be dangerous to make drastic dietary changes all at once and be safer to gradually make slow changes.

Ive been there with the stress diarrhoea and it is awful to cope with so you do have my sympathies on that and I hope it improves soon.
Thank you so much for the advice. My levels are really well controlled and I take Humulin M3 twice a day. I went back to a proper meal this evening, just adding in a few peas and sweetcorn. I'm going to gradually add back in two types of fruit per day. I know that I just have to put up with the upset tummy until I get some help with the anxiety, but I really appreciate your lovely reply. I'm trying so hard to just get on with having a nice day and putting the tummy stuff to the back of my mind.

I’d go back to the fruit and veg gradually @ChrisLiz I’d also introduce the veg first and then do the fruit. I’d keep my portions small to start with, and then increase them to a normal size if all goes well. I think it’s worth taking things cautiously and gently even if the fruit and veg isn’t connected to your problems. Delicate tummies need careful care.
Oh thank you so much for your advice. I added some peas to my dinner tonight, and will do that for a few days, then add a second vegetable. I will give that a few days then add two types of fruit, one at a time.
It's all I've been thinking about this week and I'm so fed up with it so today I went out and did some gardening. I need to start getting back on track and enjoying the days.

Hi. Your approach makes sense but avoid tropical fruit and you could add eggs and red meet if you wanted?

Thank you so much for the advice. My levels are really well controlled and I take Humulin M3 twice a day. I went back to a proper meal this evening, just adding in a few peas and sweetcorn. I'm going to gradually add back in two types of fruit per day. I know that I just have to put up with the upset tummy until I get some help with the anxiety, but I really appreciate your lovely reply. I'm trying so hard to just get on with having a nice day and putting the tummy stuff to the back of my mind.
You may find there are some foods that settle your stomach if you keep note of symptoms and when they are bad/okay in the stressful situations. For me when I have an anxious bad stomach (needing to run to loo at short notice etc), plain carbs eg toast or a biscuit settle it. Keeping a diary around those times could help see if there is anything that helps or isn’t as bad for yours

Hi. Your approach makes sense but avoid tropical fruit and you could add eggs and red meet if you wanted?
Thanks ever so much for the advice. I was going to wait for a couple of weeks to get used to having veg again then have a few raspberries every day for a couple of weeks then add another type of fruit. Any suggestions there? I'm sticking to white meat and fish for now as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight.

Thanks ever so much for the advice. I was going to wait for a couple of weeks to get used to having veg again then have a few raspberries every day for a couple of weeks then add another type of fruit. Any suggestions there? I'm sticking to white meat and fish for now as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight.
You could try strawberries or blueberries. There is no reason other meats should prevent weight loss.
Ginger is supposed to be good for upset stomach.

You may find there are some foods that settle your stomach if you keep note of symptoms and when they are bad/okay in the stressful situations. For me when I have an anxious bad stomach (needing to run to loo at short notice etc), plain carbs eg toast or a biscuit settle it. Keeping a diary around those times could help see if there is anything that helps or isn’t as bad for yours
Funny you should suggest that, my lovely next door neighbour gave me some Rich Tea biscuits the other day. I found two of those really settled my tummy and didn't interfere with my levels at all. Toast is a good idea, thank you.
You could try strawberries or blueberries. There is no reason other meats should prevent weight loss.
Ginger is supposed to be good for upset stomach.
Thank you!

Have you tried Imodium to help you over the worst of the symptoms. Their web site seems to have lots of good suggestions for dealing with symptoms.

Funny you should suggest that, my lovely next door neighbour gave me some Rich Tea biscuits the other day. I found two of those really settled my tummy and didn't interfere with my levels at all. Toast is a good idea, thank you.

Thank you!
If two rich teas settled your stomach and were okay for your bgs then sounds like you have a good solution for now there

Hope you get some help and support with your tummy troubles @ChrisLiz

And hope the reintroduction of a wider range of foods goes well.

Look after yourself, and let us know how things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back