Flying with an insulin pump? Please read before the busy holiday season begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
His is a great idea - as you do read some real horror stories.

I’ve always had a good experience in airport security personally. My approach is to be clear about what I want, and of course I’m happy to disconnect for the pump to be swabbed, and me patted down or full body scanned. I just accept that they have experience of lots of people going through scanners and it being fine, but I say that since I am away on holiday and this thing is keeping me alive I prefer to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

I’m apologetic, but firm - and try to be flexible and accommodating so that they can check the device/me

It’s worked so far. 🙂

A useful document to have in hand, although I have only had one bad experience in five years of pumping.
I always get there in good time just in case there are problems, but usually no need for this in the end.

Like Mike I am clear about what I want to happen, and do not let my pump go through a scanner, although I have in the past let my spare go through the X-ray, although it is disconnected.

I have had bad experiences twice and both times at Heathrow. Nowhere else in the world, and I do quite a bit of travelling. On both occasions I remained firm, but polite, in insisting that the pump, with me attached, was not going through the body scanner.

Last year I had a particularly rude and humiliating experience at LHR T3, to the extent that I sought out the duty security manager to make a complaint. And interesting that the CAA advice to airports had been issued more than a year before.

I keep getting this massage

Error 502 Ray ID: 422819ce7d53361d • 2018-05-29 09:58:08 UTC
Bad gateway

I've been getting intermittent 502 and 500 errors today too. There's something wrong with their server and they are fixing it.

I expect they will get it sorted soon, but some techy is having a stressful morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back