Flying to Ireland - medication etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarmouse

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anybody flown to Ireland recently? I haven't flown for over a decade!

I am flying to Cork mid-May with a low cost airline and have checked their rules about what you can carry.

Has anybody encountered any problems with taking insulin pens, cartridges, sharps etc in their hand luggage?

I will get a letter from my GP to explain the reason for carrying medication etc.

Any experiences/ suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you.

Sugarmouse

No, you'll be fine. Ask your DSN for a letter, as GPs sometimes charge for it. I always carry a letter, but have never been asked for it - to be honest they never give my baga second look, I suppose they must be used to seeing insuling pens etc going through.

One tip, don't leave a needle in your pen when you're on the plane - I did this once and half a cartridge of insulin leaked out because of the pressure differences!

I flew to Dublin with Ryanair last year. I did have a letter but didn't need it, they didn't say anything. I put my insulin and pens in the liquids bag. I'd be very surprised if they said anything, let alone there being a problem.

Have a good time.

I flew a couple of weeks ago (but to Yorkshire!) and found it no problem - make sure you keep your insulin and stuff with you in your hand luggage - insulin will get too cold in the hold and if your bags go missing you would be without the rest of the stuff! No-one batted an eyelid with me 🙂

No, you'll be fine. Ask your DSN for a letter, as GPs sometimes charge for it. I always carry a letter, but have never been asked for it - to be honest they never give my baga second look, I suppose they must be used to seeing insuling pens etc going through.

One tip, don't leave a needle in your pen when you're on the plane - I did this once and half a cartridge of insulin leaked out because of the pressure differences!

Hi

Thank you for the advice. I will ask my DSN for a letter. Hadn't given any thought to air pressure affecting insulin in the pen. I suppose I didn't have an insulin pen when I last flew!! I will definitely remove the needle.

Sugarmouse

I flew a couple of weeks ago (but to Yorkshire!) and found it no problem - make sure you keep your insulin and stuff with you in your hand luggage - insulin will get too cold in the hold and if your bags go missing you would be without the rest of the stuff! No-one batted an eyelid with me 🙂

Hi

Thank you for the advice about keeping the insulin with you in the hand luggage.

Sugarmouse.

I flew to Dublin with Ryanair last year. I did have a letter but didn't need it, they didn't say anything. I put my insulin and pens in the liquids bag. I'd be very surprised if they said anything, let alone there being a problem.

Have a good time.

Hi

Thank you for that. I better check how much liquid I am allowed in the liquids bag!

Sugarmouse

Have a good time.

Hi

Thank you for that tip.

Sugarmouse

Hi

Thank you for that. I better check how much liquid I am allowed in the liquids bag!

Sugarmouse

You will be allowed as much insulin as you need - another member (katie) flew to Australia last month with a year's supply in her hand luggage!😱🙂

Hi

Sugarmouse

The latest guidence is ' You are only allowed to take small quantities of liquids in your hand luggage. These liquids must be in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 millilitres each. You must pack these containers in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag measuring approximately 20 x 20 cms ' although I think there's some flexibility for medications.

You will be allowed as much insulin as you need - another member (katie) flew to Australia last month with a year's supply in her hand luggage!😱🙂

Good to hear that! Thanks. I am only in Ireland for a few days, so won't need too much extra insulin.

Hi there sugarmouse no advice but just wated to say hope you have a good trip, my family are over in Ireland I aint flown over since being diagnosed but i love the place lol. t.c

The latest guidence is ' You are only allowed to take small quantities of liquids in your hand luggage. These liquids must be in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 millilitres each. You must pack these containers in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag measuring approximately 20 x 20 cms ' although I think there's some flexibility for medications.

Thanks for explaining that. Northerner has quoted that Kate was able to pack a year's supply in her hand luggage to go to Australia. I don't need too much insulin, as I am in Ireland for only a few days!! Good to know the measurements tho'. I hear that control can be very strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back