Flu jab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

Apologies for not posting alot lately!

Quicky question reguarding the flu jab as it will be my first, will i get a letter or something or do i have to ring and book it?

Thanks 🙂

Hi DG i did not recieve a letter i actually got a reminder from my receptionist when i went in one time to pick up a script.Id assume if you had gone for some time without having the jab you may get a reminder letter .

Different for different GP surgeries - it's the one time my practice of using chemist repeat prescription service / not visiting surgery means I don't see the posters to inform me of flu jab clinics. Last year got it through work, which was even more convenient. However, GP surgery website might be able to help you - or an email enquiry to practice manager.

I've never had a reminder letter, but when I changed GPs last winter they immediately shot me up with the good stuff. Might be worth asking for one if you want one, you are definitely eligible to receive one.

I got a letter in the post today off my doctors sugery, saying for me to go for one on the first of october, i did not ask for it and it is my first one to 🙂

I have had the flu jab for so long now I can't remember if they send me a reminder... lol I think they do, but around this time of year on the prescription sheet it has a reminder about your flu jab.. I usually just pop in this time of year and make an appointment.

Just booked mine today there is a big notice in the surgery although I seem to remember for my first one I did get a letter. In my area it is a mass jabbing at a school.

Thanks for the replies everyone i will bring it up with my docs surgery when i put in my repeat tomoro 🙂

god just what a need...another injection! 🙄

I reckon (intramuscular) immunisations are a higher power's way of making us grateful that insulin is given subcutaneously 🙂

I always have to phone and book mine and last year when I went down to get it I had to remind the nurse what I was there for and she had to go check that was what I'd booked in for in the first place...

It varies form ares to area, some surgeries put up notices and others send reminders to 'at risk groups'.

I get phone calls from the surgery when mines due which is nice.

Gave it a miss last time though as before I started having the jabs I never seemed to get it. Then after having the jabs for 3 years in a row I got FLU every year too and it knocked me for 6 as it were.

Didn't have it last year and again, no FLU. Go figure 🙄

I reckon (intramuscular) immunisations are a higher power's way of making us grateful that insulin is given subcutaneously 🙂

I agree.............

I never bothered with mine last year, might this year though........:confused:

Erm, who needs the flu jab? Type 2s? This is my first year and I very much doubt the surgery will be proactive but I would be so embarrassed if I phoned to book an appointment and was turned away.

So, who qualifies for a flu jab? Every diabetic??

Thanks in advance

I might have one, depends if I can be bothered. I didn't bother with a swine flu jab either. Just see what's going to happen really.

Tom

Erm, who needs the flu jab? Type 2s? This is my first year and I very much doubt the surgery will be proactive but I would be so embarrassed if I phoned to book an appointment and was turned away.

Thanks in advance

Every diabetic is eligable for one as illness can have adverse effects on our blood sugars............

Yes, anyone with diabetes, any type, is entitled to a free seasonal flu jab - see
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Flu-jab/Pages/Whyitshouldbedone.aspx

However, the campaign to immunise people hasn't started yet, and will start at slightly different times in different places, under different arrangements at different GPs. Sometimes, different groups of people are called in at different times. Some GP surgeries hold open clinics, which anyone entitled to a free flu jab can attend. Also worth mentioning that some employers offer free flu jabs to their employees eg last year, I got mine through my medical research employer, which was more convenient for me than going to my GP. I realise this won't apply to many people, but still worth mentioning, I hope.

I got sent a letter from my surgery for both flu and swine flu jabs, us diabetics are 'High risk' 😛 xx

Hi all

Apologies for not posting alot lately!

Quicky question reguarding the flu jab as it will be my first, will i get a letter or something or do i have to ring and book it?

Thanks 🙂
If you were going to receive a letter then maybe you'd have received one by now. Our practice has changed from sending out letters to expecting people to just book an appointment.

How people are expected to keep track of everything when things change so often is beyond me! I think that maybe they try to keep everyone confused!

I'd give them a ring if I was you.

Thanks in advance
Yes Margaret - every diabetic qualifies for an annual flu jab and a one-off pneumonia jab too.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back