Flu Jab and Libre

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Im having my flu jab on Saturday and had planned to have it in the opposite arm to my libre. I have just realised that Saturday will be the day I put a new sensor in. I don't fancy putting a new libre into an already sore arm so I am planning to ask to have it in the current sensor arm. It will only have a couple of hours to go anyway so I can't see a problem. Can anyone else see a problem?

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Given how the LIbre can be out for the first 48 hours for some of us due to our body's reaction to having an alien object inserted into our arm, I wonder if having the flu jab near the sensor would impact the readings from the sensor.
For that reason, I would try to keep them apart so change the sensor a day early if necessary.

porll69

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I wear my Libre on the inside of my arm AND let the sensor warm up for 24 hours before starting a new one

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had my flu jab today and my arm is sore.
The nurse told my friend (at the same surgery) that this year people have reported a lot of sore / dead arms for 3-5 days afterwards.
Mine is trying to go dead so I would suggest using your not main arm, like I’ve not used my right for it being right handed.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I wear my Libre on the inside of my arm AND let the sensor warm up for 24 hours before starting a new one

Hi @porll69, welcome to the forum.

You are taking a risk putting the sensor on the inside of the arm. There are far more veins and nerves that run on the inside of the arm than on the back of the arm. You can follow them up from the wrist.

If you puncture one of those veins you could end up with a rather large haematoma. That’s why Abbott tell you to put the sensor on the less protected back of the arm, where the larger blood vessels lie deeper. It’s not a whim, it’s sound advice.

If you get by chance a faulty sensor, Abbott won’t replace it if you stuck it in the wrong place.

As a footnote, it won’t make the slightest difference to the sensor if the flu jab goes into the shoulder of the same arm. The injection is zero carb.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my flu jab today and my arm is sore.
The nurse told my friend (at the same surgery) that this year people have reported a lot of sore / dead arms for 3-5 days afterwards.
Mine is trying to go dead so I would suggest using your not main arm, like I’ve not used my right for it being right handed.
Thanks for heads up but unfortunately my Libre is in my right arm with 7 says to go when I have mine this Thursday, I am left handed. I self fund, no more sensors till order I placed yesterday are delivered. So I will take a chance. Not had any problems in the 20+years I have been having them.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for heads up but unfortunately my Libre is in my right arm with 7 says to go when I have mine this Thursday, I am left handed. I self fund, no more sensors till order I placed yesterday are delivered. So I will take a chance. Not had any problems in the 20+years I have been having them.
Yesterday, I had my sensor in my left arm and was flu-jabbed in my right arm, Being right handed, I was a tad nervous but as my arm was completely relaxed, I experienced no dead/bruised arm.
I would happily do it again ... another year.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday, I had my sensor in my left arm and was flu-jabbed in my right arm, Being right handed, I was a tad nervous but as my arm was completely relaxed, I experienced no dead/bruised arm.
I would happily do it again ... another year.
I have as I also have Asthma.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone just read through this. The info about a dead arm is good to know. I had a stroke some years ago and might have been very alarmed. Unfortunately it will have to go in my main (right) arm as the libre is due to go in my left.

Hope we all sail through the next few months with as few problems as possible.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I just checked the nhs info on it too, they advise to keep the arm moving as much as possible to stop it going dead. It’s been better today, not nice to sleep on though ha

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My arm has been fine since my jab. But my BG has been raised for the last 3 days. Or it would be if I hadn't increased my basal.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just checked the nhs info on it too, they advise to keep the arm moving as much as possible to stop it going dead. It’s been better today, not nice to sleep on though ha
When I was waiting in a crowed waiting room for the Flu Vaccine a couple of years ago I heard lady telling the person sitting next to her she did not have any problems having hers but her husband always was off for a few days following his.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just try and relax the arm as much as poss before and while they're doing it, let the arm just dangle at your side, limply.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
All done, no problems so far and it was really well organised. Temperature taken before you go in and I was in and out within a minute. Libre started early as you all advised. Thank you.