Florida teacher accused of showing up drunk to school says diabetes is to blame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Officials noticed her erratic behavior, and grew even more suspicious when Erin Cougill took a plastic cup from her classroom and locked herself in the bathroom, according to a report done on the incident.

A Florida middle school teacher accused of showing up to work drunk says diabetes is to blame.

Language arts teacher Erin Cougill was slurring her words, apparently stumbling around hallways and saying "inappropriate" things to students when she showed up for work on Dec. 11 at West Hernando Middle School, officials say.

?Her conversation was not coherent,? Assistant Principal Angela Kennedy wrote in a report, according to the St. Augustine Record. ?I immediately called the deputy.?

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...owing-drunk-blames-diabetes-article-1.1600525

"her body does not ingest alcohol as fast as most people because of the diabetes"....yeah, right! 🙄

Oh she was actually drunk, nothing to do with diabetes after all! I thought it would turn out she'd been having a hypo.

Oh she was actually drunk, nothing to do with diabetes after all! I thought it would turn out she'd been having a hypo.

Thought the same at first, alcohol sends me hypo pretty quickly.

Alchol makes blood sugar go up pav. Take care if it does the opposite :confused: The morning after is different

Alchol makes blood sugar go up pav. Take care if it does the opposite :confused: The morning after is different

I am just plain different :( don't normally drink, and having a pint soon knocks my levels down pretty fast.

Depends if alcohol comes with carbohydrate (eg beer, ale, alcopops, spirits with full sugar mixers, sweet sherry, sweet wine etc) or with little or no carbohydrate (eg dry wine, spririts with no sugar mixers etc). First group can raise blood glucose before delayed lowering, while second group usually makes blood glucose drop. In any case, after drinking, need to check blood glucose levels, before having bedtime snack if needed, before brushing teeth and going to sleep, with hypo remedy beside bed, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back