Flights with the pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had for ages end up with giong too high on the flight and too low after the flight.
I looked up in Type 1 for children adolescents and young adults, and spotted some advice in there. Used it this time to good effect. It addresses the change in pressure during the flights at take off and landing.
I disconnected just before we took off
Waited until we we're cruising, primed tube (which by then had a growing number of bubbles in it at the cannula end)
Reconnected

I did the same before we started the descent and reconnected on landing.

No highs, no hypo!!,

Yipppee

Last edited:
i had for ages end up with giong too high on the flight and too low after the flight.
I looked up in Type 1 for children adolescents and young adults, and spotted some advice in there. Used it this time to good effect. It addresses tchange in pressure during the flights at take of and landing.
I disconnected just before we took off
Waited until we we're cruising, primed rube (which by then had a growing number of bubbles in it at the cannula end)
Reconnected

I di the same before we started the descent.

No highs, no hypo!!,

Yipppee
Wow, I never knew this. Thank you.

I have never had any issues with flying. My pump nurse asked if I had any which was the first I knew some have issues. We are all different though

I have never had any issues with flying. My pump nurse asked if I had any which was the first I knew some have issues. We are all different though
Me neither

That's interesting. I went to Spain in October. First time I had flied since being diabetic. And I had the exact problems you describe.

I might be flying to Berlin for a film job in the summer so if I do, I'll take your advice.

I wonder whether it partly has to do with flight duration? I've seen in mentioned by US pump users, but haven't really ever noticed anything definite myself, only ever taking rare, short Scotland or Europe hops. Having said that after getting up stupidly early... wandering the massive airport... stress of getting through security in time... unusual airport food... running for the gate... and the unguessable tiny airline cardboard food/snack portions I have to say there's usually so much else going on with my levels on the very few times I do fly that it would be hard to spot!

I've never had any significant problems flying, and I do a lot of flights, many of them long haul. I just leave everything as normal, except that a) I change the pump clock to the time of my destination as soon as I get onboard, and b) I do a lot of testing during the flight and afterwards (now helped enormously by CGM) and correct as required. As Mike says, there's so much going on (stress, rushing, onboard inactivity, time changes, jet lag, crap food etc etc) I want to keep everything as simple as possible.

I've read it suggested that you shouldn't change your pump clock by more than 4 hours at a time, and you should therefore gradually adjust to time zones more than 4 hours different. Sorry, life's too short.

I've never had any significant problems flying, and I do a lot of flights, many of them long haul. I just leave everything as normal, except that a) I change the pump clock to the time of my destination as soon as I get onboard, and b) I do a lot of testing during the flight and afterwards (now helped enormously by CGM) and correct as required. As Mike says, there's so much going on (stress, rushing, onboard inactivity, time changes, jet lag, crap food etc etc) I want to keep everything as simple as possible.

I've read it suggested that you shouldn't change your pump clock by more than 4 hours at a time, and you should therefore gradually adjust to time zones more than 4 hours different. Sorry, life's too short.

I was advised To make the gradual time change when on injections, but on a pump advised to just switch to destination time as you do and work from that with loads of testing and correcting as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back