Flexible cannula inserted into the stomach

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilGilbert

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm interested does anyone know anything about having a cannula inserted into the stomach
My doctor has recommended this for me as my sites are now so unpredictable sometimes it may take 30 minutes for insulin to go in but it can and has taken up to 3 hours I'm on a insulin pump as I've lose most sites that's legs arms stomach I'm now on back about kidney area this is a Virgin site and this is taking up to 3 hours I'm having to take extra injections anywhere I can just to reduce high levels so far my highest is 32 off the meter lucky I don't suffer with Ketones I've now had diabetes type one for 42 years wear compression socks hate the heat sorry my question is my doctor's have said last resort to try a cannula similar to be inserted into the stomach supposed to stay in for up to 7 years done at Kings hospital London you stay for up to 3 weeks to stabilise I'm asking as it's new to me does anyone know anything about it thank you for your time

Hi. So sorry to hear that you are having problems and that your levels are going that high.

If my levels are high and by that I mean a BG of 10-15, my insulin can take a couple of hours to bring me down and sometimes I need to stack corrections to bring it down but that doesn't mean my sites are bad, it is just insulin resistance. High BG levels cause insulin resistance, which means the insulin you use is less effective and takes a lot longer to work. The trick is to prevent it going that high in the first place. One of the ways I do that is by not eating if my levels are above 8. Usually I will wait until they come down to 5-6 before I eat.
Timing of insulin and food is a key part of good diabetes management. Every morning I have to wait 45 mins before I eat breakfast and longer if I wake up with an above range BG and that is with Fiasp, with NovoRapid my prebolus time was 75 mins most mornings, sometimes longer, which was why I changed to Fiasp. I can normally get away with just 15-30 mins at other times of day, providing that I keep my levels below 8 but once they get into double figures I will have a long and frustrating wait.
Do you have Freestyle Libre sensors to monitor your levels, so that you can see when your levels are coming down and then time your food accordingly? If not ask about being prescribed Libre.

Hi yes I'm on libre 2 I'm starting to become sensitive to the glue but most days I'm higher than you with an average of 9.5 it's getting hard to carb count not knowing when the insulin is going to be absorbed. My old sites are now getting calcium deposits forming inside scares you when you feel hard lumps forming inside I wish I had got my diabetes now rather than back 42 years ago my first syringe was glass with stainless steel plunger the needles were like sewing needles and Everything was kept sterile in a tube filled with medical spirit feels like it was yesterday.
The one thing that still puzzles me is how you can have a low one day and it doesn't effect you and another day knocks you out I had one I felt sorry for my eldest daughter I'm a naturlist so I came down stairs 3.5 blood I remember I had 2 digestive biscuits then turned on the computer and was then in bed covered in blood?
I had passed out fallen through the dinning table and chairs daughter had come across me in a pool of blood on the floor I can't be moved as I'm 6 feet 7 inches tall 19 stone a few extra pounds heavy skeleton so I've been told.
When she found me I just got up and went back to bed no memory of anything after turning the computer on.
How were you over lock down me I worked all through it I work nights it was strange my manager was diabetic on same pump and he was put into shielding straight away I wasn't offered that and I also have a heart condition nothing to do with diabetes and asthma. I would have worked anyway as I wanted to support my colleagues and you don't get anything for free thank you for your feedback sorry about the life story don't get to chat much.
Hi. So sorry to hear that you are having problems and that your levels are going that high.

If my levels are high and by that I mean a BG of 10-15, my insulin can take a couple of hours to bring me down and sometimes I need to stack corrections to bring it down but that doesn't mean my sites are bad, it is just insulin resistance. High BG levels cause insulin resistance, which means the insulin you use is less effective and takes a lot longer to work. The trick is to prevent it going that high in the first place. One of the ways I do that is by not eating if my levels are above 8. Usually I will wait until they come down to 5-6 before I eat.
Timing of insulin and food is a key part of good diabetes management. Every morning I have to wait 45 mins before I eat breakfast and longer if I wake up with an above range BG and that is with Fiasp, with NovoRapid my prebolus time was 75 mins most mornings, sometimes longer, which was why I changed to Fiasp. I can normally get away with just 15-30 mins at other times of day, providing that I keep my levels below 8 but once they get into double figures I will have a long and frustrating wait.
Do you have Freestyle Libre sensors to monitor your levels, so that you can see when your levels are coming down and then time your food accordingly? If not ask about being prescribed Libre.

Yes, I am well aware how lucky I am to have developed diabetes later in life and especially now with the modern technology making management so much easier and not having to deal with puberty and diabetes at the same time. That must be really rough and my heart goes out to young people and their parents managing diabetes through their teenage years as it must be incredibly challenging for all involved.

I know advice will have changed over the years and old habits will no doubt die hard, but has anyone ever told you that digestive biscuits are not really ideal for treating hypos in the first instance because they are not fast acting carbs.... more moderate release. Dextrose tablets or jelly babies or orange juice are better options for treating a hypo initially because you need something that is going to work as quickly as possible.
I know what you mean about some hypos being worse than others and I think it is the rate at which your levels are dropping which makes the difference. When your levels are dropping fast, particularly if they are dropping from a high level, it feels worse than a slow steady descent and can be more likely to catch you out. Thankfully I have never had a bad one like you describe..... so far.... and hope I never do, but I imagine like damaged injection sites, they are more likely to happen with many years of injecting. It must have been a great shock for your daughter finding you covered in blood. Hopefully the Libre will prevent such a situation happening again. What levels do you have the alarms set at on you Libre. It is wise to set the low alarm a bit higher so that you have plenty of time to head off a hypo before you get below 4. Prevention being better than cure as they say!

PS. I think @trophywench is also a naturist. Hopefully I haven't got that wrong.

Really hope you can find something that helps your insulin to work a little more effectively. Not heard of the cannula you mention. Sounds a bit scary!
Which pump are you using and which insulin? Perhaps a change of insulin might improve things, particularly if you are having problems in a virgin site.

Hello @NeilGilbert and welcome to the forum.
I can not remember the in's and outs of it but the word Iport sprang to mind https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/products/i-port-advance
Obviously this isn't the same thing.

There used to be an organisation called INPUT which dealt with insulin pumps and the lack of them, this then merged with JDRF and I'm reasonably sure the the lady who ran INPUT (Lesley) had one of the ports/cannulas you are talking about as she had many issues with her insulin delivery. The pump attached to the device and I do remember it was implanted so perhaps ask over there as well.

PS those needles you mentioned were not sewing machine needles they were harpoons :(. 🙂

There was a news story about a girl in Canada possibly who’d had something similar. She was allergic to insulin or something. I can’t remember the name of the cannula or procedure but hopefully someone will. It must be absolutely horrible for you @NeilGilbert

My only other thought is I wonder if you’d qualify for an islet transplant?

Yes - I'm a naturist too but like Sue I only remembered the iPort but now Patti has mentioned Diaport I do recall hearing about that too.

Got to be worth a try, anyway Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back