Flash glucose monitoring use associated with a reduction in diabetes distress

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a strange parameter to choose to highlight. The Libre shines a light on what is going on through the day, rather than just edited highlights via fingerprick.

I think they are mixing up annoyance at not knowing, and “distress”. I’m familiar with that feeling, but I’ve never been distressed.

Mind you, describing that as such will I suppose promote the use of the Libre, which will please Abbott, who paid for the study.

What a strange parameter to choose to highlight. The Libre shines a light on what is going on through the day, rather than just edited highlights via fingerprick.
The paper describes what they mean well enough, I think:

Diabetes-related distress (DRD) is increasingly recognized as an important determinant of suboptimal glycaemic control and complication risk in people living with type 1 diabetes (T1D).1-6 DRD is distinct from depression and anxiety and is a product of dealing with the unrelenting demands and limitations that diabetes imposes on the life of a person with diabetes.1, 7-9 DRD arises from the demands of self-care associated with diabetes and is the product of emotional adjustments.1 DRD in T1D is also distinct from DRD in type 2 diabetes, given the demands of multiple daily insulin injections, frequent blood glucose monitoring, hypoglycaemia, and general burnout due to the incessant management needs of T1D.​

(Maybe that's not easily (or usefully) measurable, but it feels important enough to try, and seems significant independent of obviously measurable things like HbA1c.)

Well Diabetes is a drag, a damn nuisance at times. Always has been and always will be until I lose my marbles/drop dead, which oh yes can be distressing, IF I let it distress me. So, I don't let it.

Diabetes is a small part of the way I live, at least in my mind. It's just a routine - look at the food you are planning to eat, calculate the insulin and carry on. I also have have to estimate the fat and protein for the Creon dosage, representing another failure of the pancreas. That's just a routine too. So is looking at, say, a hotel to stay in - is it wheelchair accessible?

Of course, these are all open to mistakes or missteps, which are a nuisance, (or a distinct pest getting the Creon wrong) but I don't let it distress me, other me saying Oh f*** every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back