Fizzy drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
At the moment I am going mad for fizzy drinks. I try to keep to the diet/low/no sugar variety where I can, and just one or two a day.

Any thoughts on how good or bad fizzy drinks actually are for us?

I'm really not a fan! My BIL drinks gallons of coke, but I really dislike all 'pop' (as we used to call it!). Maybe the occasional lemonade or Fanta, but that's it.

So long as they're genuine diet drinks with no sugar/cals in then in terms of diabetes they should have no effect.

Your dentist might have something to say about the state of your teeth when you next visit though...!

I drink alot of diet coke/pepsi max, probably more than I should. Some peopel say that artificial sweeteners aren't good for you, particulary the ones with aspartame in them.

Thanks for the link Steff. It is also worth noting they have a glucose meter give away on the right hand sde of the page for any one wanting or needing a meter.

See im doubley clever now lol :D

I would not like to say Caroline but id go along with what Cate said, I only ever have diet coke now when im eating out somewhere and i aint missing it .

I found this small piece on a study they did.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2007/Jul/Fizzy-drinks-and-diabetes-linked.html

Yikes! That article scared the pants off me as we go through at least a litre of diet coke each per day... 😱

When I researched it further, it turns out that the diet drink itself does not increase your weight, but it's more likely to be that people drinking it already have a weight problem so the results are open to interpretation.. There seems to be a possibility that the diet drinks act as a stimulant to the appetite which in turn can lead to over consumption of calories which leads to weight gain! Does that make sense?

Phew! :confused:

Karina 😉

Yikes! That article scared the pants off me as we go through at least a litre of diet coke each per day... 😱

When I researched it further, it turns out that the diet drink itself does not increase your weight, but it's more likely to be that people drinking it already have a weight problem so the results are open to interpretation.. There seems to be a possibility that the diet drinks act as a stimulant to the appetite which in turn can lead to over consumption of calories which leads to weight gain! Does that make sense?

Phew! :confused:

Karina 😉

Know what you mean about some drinks stimulating your appetitie. If I have to take an early lunch I get something that will make me hungry NOW and then choose a lunch that will fill me up till I can eat again.

Know what you mean about some drinks stimulating your appetitie. If I have to take an early lunch I get something that will make me hungry NOW and then choose a lunch that will fill me up till I can eat again.

And of course, talking about food is also a stimulant - I'm now absolutely starving and don't usually have my lunch until between 2 and 3 as I start work at 4 until 8 and don't get dinner until I get home..

Banana and pear snack methinks!

Karina :D

Given that ripe bananas can have lots of sugar in them perhaps the pear?

Given that ripe bananas can have lots of sugar in them perhaps the pear?

S'okay - it's still quite green!! :D Also, for some reason fruit doesn't seem to send me high - not sure why? Anyhoo - have spent so long faffing about and responding to other thread's 😱 that I probably won't have time to eat them now!!

Karina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back