Five-a-Day Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We all know that we should aim at five-a-day or more. Occasionally it is hard to achieve but at the weekend I found it very expensive. Basically I went out for a meal on two occasions. The first time was at a very good restaurant. However despite the main coursed costing ?10 - ?15 they do not include any vegetables. At ?2-50 - ?3-50 a portion the price soon shoots up. Fortunately I could share with someone else so we ordered potatoes and a portion of veg each thus achieving potatoes with two different vegetables. This does annoy me though, as I think a portion of meat or fish with nothing else is NOT a meal! My travels in Europe are not that extensive but I cannot recall vegetables not being included.

The second time I went into an independent pizza outlet. I ordered the small side salad, at ?2-95, and all I got was a selection of leaves (no tomato, no cucumber, no pepper, etc.) with quite a nice dressing. A total rip off in my view as I doubt there was 30p?s worth of ingredients!

Oh well I had best stop as I feel a Grumpy Old Man moment coming on! I then tend to ask things like; why does a half pint of beer often cost up to 25p more than half the cost of a pint, why does a 250 ml glass of wine cost half the bottle price, how do StarBucks justify their prices, etc!

We all know that we should aim at five-a-day or more. Occasionally it is hard to achieve but at the weekend I found it very expensive. Basically I went out for a meal on two occasions. The first time was at a very good restaurant. However despite the main coursed costing ?10 - ?15 they do not include any vegetables. At ?2-50 - ?3-50 a portion the price soon shoots up. Fortunately I could share with someone else so we ordered potatoes and a portion of veg each thus achieving potatoes with two different vegetables. This does annoy me though, as I think a portion of meat or fish with nothing else is NOT a meal! My travels in Europe are not that extensive but I cannot recall vegetables not being included.

The second time I went into an independent pizza outlet. I ordered the small side salad, at ?2-95, and all I got was a selection of leaves (no tomato, no cucumber, no pepper, etc.) with quite a nice dressing. A total rip off in my view as I doubt there was 30p?s worth of ingredients!

Oh well I had best stop as I feel a Grumpy Old Man moment coming on! I then tend to ask things like; why does a half pint of beer often cost up to 25p more than half the cost of a pint, why does a 250 ml glass of wine cost half the bottle price, how do StarBucks justify their prices, etc!

could try making your own ? says she ducking as falcon throws something at her ! hehee

could try making your own ? says she ducking as falcon throws something at her ! hehee

I have heard of bring your own bottle in restaurants but not bring your own salad. A virtual leaf of limp lettuce going brown at the edges is flying across hyperspace towards Buckinghamshire!

I have heard of bring your own bottle in restaurants but not bring your own salad. A virtual leaf of limp lettuce going brown at the edges is flying across hyperspace towards Buckinghamshire!

Hehe, I can just imagine turning up with a clingfilm covered bowl of salad:D

It is hard when your eating out to squeeze veggies in. Specially as side salads generally have yucky lettuce in & personally I like to make sure my lettuce is perky, green & still full of life & flavour! A lot of restaurants these days are going down the veg is an extra option route, which I think is pants! Im buying a MEAL, thats what I want. Not the meaty part of a main course which then I have to supplement. Its as bad as the extras on new car prices!!

This is almost highway robbery when you consider what a kilo of sprouts or a kilo of carrotts cost and you can bet the resteraunts get them more cheaply than we do in the supermarket! When I have lunch in the staff resteraunt at work i go for two vege rather than one vege and potatoes as this cuts done the carbs too.

Vegetarian restaurant?

In theory vegetarians get more than their 5 day fruit and veg, but it doesn't always work out like that.

Just athought, do the mushrooms, tomatoes and onions found on pizzas count towards your 5 a day?

i meant make your own the pizza and salad!! or just the salad to accompany the take away pizza

i meant make your own the pizza and salad!! or just the salad to accompany the take away pizza

I hope that Bev doesn't tell on me. Cyril, my pet slug, was on the lettuce leaf. Can I have him back please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back