Fitz puts diabetes in the spotlight for TV documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A LOCAL radio legend has put his eating habits under the microscope to get his diabetes – and weight – under control for a new TV series.

BBC Devon's David 'Fitz' Fitzgerald set out on a mission to learn more about the hidden sugars in our food for a new series of Inside Out.

"Over the years Inside Out have tried to affect my diet and exercise to kick start my pancreas and get my diabetes under control," Fitz said.

"I have done the Plymouth half marathon and some pretty radical diets, but this is all about sugar.

"I don't add sugar to anything, but I focused on looking at the hidden sugars in our food. It's not until you put your glasses on and read the labels that you know what is really going on. And it's shocking."

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Fitz-tackles-weighty-matter/story-22857772-detail/story.html

I wonder if anyone has ever explained to Fitz about carbohydrates? 🙄

I wonder if anyone has ever explained to Fitz about carbohydrates? 🙄

Yes I have, he a very intelligent man except where his diabetes is concerned. Very good too listen to on his radio programme.

There was a different slant on the 'sugar' story on our version of Inside out. I think it was very misleading as it completely overemphasised sugar as opposed to carbs. The presenter set up a stall at Southampton's Bargate, asking shoppers which they thought contained the most sugar: one example was jam doughnuts and yoghurt. He claimed that the doughnuts only contained 5g of sugar and that the yoghurt was therefore the equivalent of 5 doughnuts...

Nonsense! Just looked up jam doughnuts at Tesco and Sainsburys and they come out as 7g sugar - but they are each 35g carbs! Also, all the yoghurst I eat tend to be around 10-12g sugar/carbs, so a truer comparison would be 3 yoghurts to 1 doughnut. The 5 doughnuts would be a massive 175g carbs! 😱 The extra carbs would be just as fast-acting as the sugar, since it would be the flour content.

This gives a completely false picture of what is harmful to health :(

There was a different slant on the 'sugar' story on our version of Inside out. I think it was very misleading as it completely overemphasised sugar as opposed to carbs. The presenter set up a stall at Southampton's Bargate, asking shoppers which they thought contained the most sugar: one example was jam doughnuts and yoghurt. He claimed that the doughnuts only contained 5g of sugar and that the yoghurt was therefore the equivalent of 5 doughnuts...

Nonsense! Just looked up jam doughnuts at Tesco and Sainsburys and they come out as 7g sugar - but they are each 35g carbs! Also, all the yoghurst I eat tend to be around 10-12g sugar/carbs, so a truer comparison would be 3 yoghurts to 1 doughnut. The 5 doughnuts would be a massive 175g carbs! 😱 The extra carbs would be just as fast-acting as the sugar, since it would be the flour content.

This gives a completely false picture of what is harmful to health :(

I watched the SW inside out programme you might find it on iplayer. Fitz went to see his personal dietician (NHS) who proclaimed it was the sugar he needed to avoid. So very misleading. End shot was Fitz sitting down to a huge plate of bangers and mash 🙄

I watched the SW inside out programme you might find it on iplayer. Fitz went to see his personal dietician (NHS) who proclaimed it was the sugar he needed to avoid. So very misleading. End shot was Fitz sitting down to a huge plate of bangers and mash 🙄

I wrote a message on the Inside Out FB page saying how misleading the report was, but it doesn't look like anyone reads it :( It's obviously good if people avoid excess sugar, but there is a real danger of this becoming an overemphasised focus, much like fat has been for the past 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back