Fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I love my fish, generally have smoked or unsmoked basa, haddock or cod, never tried salmon and its rather expensive if I don't like it, wasn't keen on plaice as it wasn't a strong enough flavour to my liking, anyone ever tried barramundi? just wondering whether to grab that tomorrow if I can, any other suggestions of a good fish would be welcomed too 🙂 x

Salmon is worth a try. Often on offer, if you pick the right time of day. Far less food miles than barramundi.
Personally, I find the consistently best value seafood items are rope grown mussels. Also raised in UK waters. Very tasty in packs with wine or garlic sauce.

Salmon is worth a try. Often on offer, if you pick the right time of day. Far less food miles than barramundi.
Personally, I find the consistently best value seafood items are rope grown mussels. Also raised in UK waters. Very tasty in packs with wine or garlic sauce.
Well I'm off to Asda tomorrow night so will take a look 🙂 apparently they have red snapper as well which I've never tried, neither have I tried mussels x

Well I'm off to Asda tomorrow night so will take a look 🙂 apparently they have red snapper as well which I've never tried, neither have I tried mussels x

Take a bit more insulin and throw in some oven chips with that fish Kaylz. You need the sustenance and the calories! :D

Smoked Haddock, Maceral fillets, Tuna . Tins of tune with light mayo in lots of different flavours & good for you !

Take a bit more insulin and throw in some oven chips with that fish Kaylz. You need the sustenance and the calories! :D
I've never actually been keen on chips that why I have boiled potatoes with it! Lol, all my mates at school thought I was odd as I wasn't keen on chips, absolutely hated pizza etc haha x

Smoked Haddock, Maceral fillets, Tuna . Tins of tune with light mayo in lots of different flavours & good for you !
I've had tinned tuna a lot the past week so I've moved away from that and why light mayo?

Actually more carbs in light mayo than ordinary. 1g per tablespoon but I like lots! :D
I dont like the light stuff has to be hellmanns full fat real mayo for me!! Haha x

Pete had barramundi twice whilst we were in Oz (LOL, where else? - it lives there!) First time he loved it - not unlike cod but finer grained and maybe slightly sweeter - but the second bit he didn't enjoy at all - dry and strong - probably a bit old cos we were right in the middle of nowhere inland whereas the first was much nearer the coast, in Brisbane, at a far busier establishment. Any barra we get here must by definition be old - but largely depends on how quick they froze it initially and how well it's been kept, doesn't it!

Fresh salmon (I mean as opposed to smoked or tinned!) is also a delicate flavour, but totally unlike any white fish whatsoever. I like it though same as I love plaice and sole - so you probably wouldn't, Kaylz.

I have been to the Seychelles & the chef used to cook inch thick plate sized tuna steaks & fish to fill anyone. I like tins of tuna & curry. Fish is good for you 🙂

I've never actually been keen on chips that why I have boiled potatoes with it! Lol, all my mates at school thought I was odd as I wasn't keen on chips, absolutely hated pizza etc haha x
Strangely K II have never been a great lover of chips either.
Over recent years I have developed a love of fish.
Basa is nice done in the oven as is Haddock, Cod and Plaice.
Salmon I eat regularly especially the smoked variety and is not so expensive these days.
Mackeral, easy.
Aldi and Morrison sell Salmon fillets some already flavoured which you literally just pop in the Microwave for a couple of minutes in it packing and it's ready.
Can be a little dry sometimes but as a "qucikie" it is ok
Tuna, Trout and Seabass are fabulous fish but I have not progressed as yet to cooking them.
FIsh here is very expensive and is mainly river fish not sea fish although you can get Seabass wihich is usually baked or fried (they fry eveyrthing) and served in a variety of ways usually in spicy sauces which is nice.
The problem with river fish it is riddled with small bones and they serve it whole. Difficult to eat .
I will not mention the fish head curry and believe it or not fish head is extremely expensive here, classed as a delicacy.
I can quite happily pig out on shellfish, prawns, mussels, clams, oysters, steamed scallops. Wonderful.
Fully agree with you about the Mayo. Cannot abide the light stuff in anything to be honest.
Give me full fat anyday.

Last edited:
I prefer fish with cauliflower - low carb alternative, but tasty.

Love tinned mackerel in olive oil. Always have salmon on Christmas eve, fried in a griddle pan. Kippers are good too but I only have them when we go to Whitby and can get them from the smoke house.

I'm not holding out much hope to be honest as the Asda I go to never seems to have much of the fish, may leave it and wait and see what Morrisons has too x

I prefer fish with cauliflower - low carb alternative, but tasty.
I need the carbs to be fair although I do like cauliflower x

I'm not holding out much hope to be honest as the Asda I go to never seems to have much of the fish, may leave it and wait and see what Morrisons has too x
Morrison also do Kippers K, do them in the microwave. The downside of them is I have always found they stink the microwave out lol They are nice though and again not expensive.

Morrison also do Kippers K, do them in the microwave. The downside of them is I have always found they stink the microwave out lol They are nice though and again not expensive.
Thanks Vince, not really sure what to do yet, would be easy if it was just for me but got to think what the OH and my granddad will eat too x

Thanks Vince, not really sure what to do yet, would be easy if it was just for me but got to think what the OH and my granddad will eat too x
I had steamed Turbot tonight Chinese style served with 2 Islands of Pork top with Fried eggs.
Fish was nice

I had steamed Turbot tonight Chinese style served with 2 Islands of Pork top with Fried eggs.
Fish was nice
IMG_4233.jpg
Steamed Turbot Hunan Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back