Not open for further replies.

AntDon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone
I'm new here so be gentle...

NHS GP.
I tested 48 5 months ago
I have at last been called for my '3 month' review.
Various blood test results are back but no HbA1c result

My question is should they have tested for HbA1c every 3 months for the 1st year.

If not.. How am I to know whether my 10lb weight loss and change of diet are working?

My HbA1c result is usually 2 - 3 days later than some of the other tests.

Thank you
silentsquirrel

Perhaps I am just being impatient....
Dying to see the result
I will be very disappointed if my efforts have not had a substantial effect....

The amazing bit to me is losing 10+ lbs in 14 weeks without even trying
Just stopped eating crap...

Last edited:
You might want to get a glucose meter and with that you can check whether your overall BS is reducing

Hi Everyone
I'm new here so be gentle...

NHS GP.
I tested 48 5 months ago
I have at last been called for my '3 month' review.
Various blood test results are back but no HbA1c result

My question is should they have tested for HbA1c every 3 months for the 1st year.

If not.. How am I to know whether my 10lb weight loss and change of diet are working?
48 is very borderline, I’d expect an annual review at that level. 3 monthly is only really used when a1c is very high and medication is required

Yes I have just got one...
Obviously I am a stone
Because you cant get blood out of me
Welcome to my world!

Have you tried warming your hands before pricking? Washing in warm water or cupping your fingers round a mug of tea are the usual suggestions though I can't pretend they always work for me - 29 years in and fingers like leather! :(

Woohoo..
Just got my hbA1c
That is lower than when I was first told I was pre-diabetic 46

At what hba1c level are you no longer considered diabetic?
Or
Is this just a remission thing
At what level are you considered to be in remission?

Congratulations! 🙂

Official definition:
"Different criteria have been used around the world and in the UK to establish if a person with type 2 diabetes has gone into remission. The international group of diabetes experts worked together to standardise and simplify the criteria. They have agreed that a person with type 2 diabetes is in remission if:

- they have had an HbA1c level below 6.5% (48mmol/mol) for a least three months
AND
- not taken any medications to manage their blood glucose levels during this time."

Congratulations! 🙂

Official definition:
"Different criteria have been used around the world and in the UK to establish if a person with type 2 diabetes has gone into remission. The international group of diabetes experts worked together to standardise and simplify the criteria. They have agreed that a person with type 2 diabetes is in remission if:

- they have had an HbA1c level below 6.5% (48mmol/mol) for a least three months
AND
- not taken any medications to manage their blood glucose levels during this time."

Have a care with that definition PSAA. It comes from 3 political pressure groups. The WHO is yet to pronounce on the clinical, medical, scientific validity of this so-called 'remission'.

Well - in the real world that I live in sometimes 99.9% of people simply enjoy eating some forms of crap. We both absolutely love trifle! It isn't and never has been an everyday foodstuff - it's still an occasional treat. Oh yes so eldest daughter could make it with sugar free jelly etc etc but when most people she feeds don't either have diabetes or trying to lose weight etc I certainly don't expect her to do any such thing. She knows very well I can just have a bit more insulin anyway. One of her grandmas had T2 as well as cancer so she always needed more consideration than me - and her low sugar creme brulee was blooming delish. (Well - she is a well trained fully employed Head Chef after all! and practically anything at all she ever sticks on a plate for me is appreciated. She did used to despair of her son who ate a lot of crap in his late teens and would frequently send for pizza or another take-out after she'd fed him real food earlier anyway. Anyway apart from him teaching his partner how to cook a lot of things (her own mom is not an adventurous or even enthusiastic cook so she learned nothing useful at home and might even be why she usually eats vegetarian so has been gobsmacked at her bloke's mum being more than willing to cook summat different for her - she knew she could do it at work, that's how grandson and she met each other but hadn't got her head round perfect cooking just being normal at home too. We had a 'cabbage cookery seminar' over Xmas too. eg Nooo - not only black, or even white, pepper - both! - but just go a bit careful with the white cos it's 'hotter' :rofl: )

I had the same question after being diagnosed a few years back. The NICE guideline , specifically 1.6.1, says "Measure HbA1c levels in adults with type 2 diabetes every 3 to 6 months (tailored to individual needs) until HbA1c is stable on unchanging therapy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back