First Wave Insulin Reponse

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbottle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've tried out a few Libre sensors, and one thing I've noticed is that shortly after I eat there's generally a small drop in BG - is this the 'first wave insulin response?' lowering BG slightly, or am I imagining it? I spotted this last year when I was using a sensor but I've got one again now and the same is happening - google threw up 'first wave insulin' response...

I've tried out a few Libre sensors, and one thing I've noticed is that shortly after I eat there's generally a small drop in BG - is this the 'first wave insulin response?' lowering BG slightly, or am I imagining it? I spotted this last year when I was using a sensor but I've got one again now and the same is happening - google threw up 'first wave insulin' response...
I have never heard of that, so will be interested in the responses that you get.

I usally get a rise following eating then it falls over the next couple of hours.

I usally get a rise following eating then it falls over the next couple of hours.

Yes, I get that as well, but around 5-10 minutes after eating I see a small drop before it starts to go up in response to what I have just eaten (Usually slowly and peaking around an hour or 90 minutes.

Any chance it has a lot to do with the fact your sensor reads 15mins behind a finger poke?

Libre 2 is 2.4 minutes behind, according to abbot.

They use some maths, I believe.

I wish my Libre was only 2.4minutes adrift, however much maths their algorithm happens to use - it still ain't that quick ! As Mike says, physiologically it is impossible and as one cannot calibrate Libre 2, the algorithm never learns from the person.

Bollards. 15 minutes is a physiological limit that can’t be lowered. Unless they have an algorithm that predicts what your BG might be, but that is no more than a guess.
Yes they have an algorithm that predicts your bg forwards

I wish my Libre was only 2.4minutes adrift, however much maths their algorithm happens to use - it still ain't that quick ! As Mike says, physiologically it is impossible and as one cannot calibrate Libre 2, the algorithm never learns from the person.

The one I am currently using is very close to finger checks, usually different < .3 when I check. Having said that, my BG doesn’t really change fast, seems to be happily pootling along between 4 and 6 most of the time. The last sensor I used was miles out, usually up to 3!

Bizarrely, when I clean my teeth in the morning it goes up. That might be because I used a lot of inter dental brushes to clean between the gaps and dry clean and wet clean with a toothbrush - it’s to stop him disease coming back.

Bizarrely, when I clean my teeth in the morning it goes up. That might be because I used a lot of inter dental brushes to clean between the gaps and dry clean and wet clean with a toothbrush - it’s to stop him disease coming back.
If this is before you eat breakfast then it is unlikely to be caused by cleaning your teeth but just part of Foot on the Floor syndrome. If after breakfast, then likely breakfast kicking in.

The thought of food produces an insulin response, so I would answer yes to that.

If this is before you eat breakfast then it is unlikely to be caused by cleaning your teeth but just part of Foot on the Floor syndrome. If after breakfast, then likely breakfast kicking in.
I don’t get ‘foot on the floor syndrome’ or ‘dawn phenonemon’, I get up six, potter around or do some writing, have breakfast and then go to work around 9:00 - by that time I‘m past any rise for breakfast (Berries and yoghurt) and it’s usually back down to pre-meal levels (Usually < 6 or around the low sixes.)

I blame the corsodyl and teepee brushes. `;-)

The thought of food produces an insulin response, so I would answer yes to that.

I shall conquer my BG with food thought. Mmmmm, doughnuts. 🙂

I don’t get ‘foot on the floor syndrome’ or ‘dawn phenonemon’, I get up six, potter around or do some writing, have breakfast and then go to work around 9:00 - by that time I‘m past any rise for breakfast (Berries and yoghurt) and it’s usually back down to pre-meal levels (Usually < 6 or around the low sixes.)

I blame the corsodyl and teepee brushes. `;-)

So, you're looking at elevated stress.
I follow a similar routine sometimes, and it certainly takes time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back