First visit to surgery nurse yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klocky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was officially told that I have type 2, although I think I had worked that out.

Anyway, she told me that my fasting blood test and the HBA1C were within normal limits, but the fasting glucose test gave a reading of 13.9. She told me that they were going to see if they could get my levels down via diet only and not prescribe medication yet (she didnt say how long they were monitoring this for and stupidly I forgot to ask). I did ask about whether I should be testing my blood with a meter to see what made it spike but she told me to buy some diastix from the chemist. I've used about 10 of these since yesterday and they all come back with no trace.

Anyway, after the point of this ramble is to ask whether you think I would be better buying a meter etc myself and monitoring that way - seems to me that the urine testing is nowhere near as accurate.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

I have been told that diastix only show any thing abnormal if you are above 10.5.
This was actually on a diabetes course,so if like me you sit around 8's and 9's very little point. I think it may just be a cop out from nurse so doesn't prescribe strips.
If you can afford it I would buy a monitor initially,but strips are ?25 - ?27 for 50.

I bought one initially and tested 8 times a day until I understood what food did to me,now do minimal testing.

My nurse told me I didn't need a tester as i could just look up content on the nutritional information on everything I eat.

Welcome to the site..................

I would suggest that it would be wise to buy a meter, as you say the urine test doesnt really give accurate information and certainly cant give you the answers you seek regarding what food you can have and what foods, you can have, but effect your sugars negetively............

Welcome to the site.

I'd say get a meter. It is far more accurate than using dipsticks (or wee sticks). Sometimes you can get them free from the manufacturer, so it's worth exploring that option, then see ifyour GP will prescribe the test strips. Even paying for prescriptions it is still cheaper than just buying the test strips.

The longer you can stay off the medication the better. Some people never need medication because they are able to maintain control through diet and exercise and others at some point in the future need medication.

Please feel free to ask any questions you like, if you need to know, you need to know, and asking questions helps everyone.

hi klocky get a meter and test, its the only way to see how foods effects our bloods diffirently, hopefully this will cost no more then ?15, good luck and please use this place whenever you need help or advice
x

Urine testing depends on your renal threshold which is different for everyone. FOr some people, a fairly low (albeit higher than normal) BG reading will pass glucose through the kidneys and show in your urine. FOr others, it can be very high before the kidneys pass it, so you won't really know what your BG is unless you test it directly.

It's an archaic form of testing and only a positive result tells you anything. A negative merely means your kidneys are hanging on to everything, whether it be high or low. 🙂

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back