first time using dual wave bolus

Status
Not open for further replies.

litto-miss-loz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hey all, hope ur all well 🙂

ive just used the dual wave bolus for the first time. Was a bit scared lol dunno why though lol

anyway

my total carbs i calculated was 130g so was going to be taking 13 units plus a 1 correction to bring my bg down. so 14 units in all.

I took 7 straight away then spread the other 7 over an hour and now just over 2 hours later im hypo.

I dunno where to look, to see where ive gone wrong...

is in need of help lol xx

Perhaps next time spread the other half over a longer period of time, so it doesn't peak then and cause you to drop?

What did you eat?

I had a big bowl of pasta and then apple pie and cream 😛

ive got this sheet that tells me what to do and it said for pasta based meals do it over an hour so just went with that lol

Everyone is different remember! Sounds like a bit of experimenting is in order. Pasta releases really slowly, the type of sauce you have with it can also effect the release of it.

When I saw Gary Scheiner speak, he said for things like pizza and pasta (basically really slow releasing foods) he recommends giving the whole bolus over 2 hours (square wave) and then increasing the basal to 150% for 8 hours after. He did of course point out that this is just a starting point and you can tweak the square wave and the time & % of basal increase. I tried it and it worked pretty well, I need to tweak it a bit but it was a really good start.

Everyone is different remember! Sounds like a bit of experimenting is in order. Pasta releases really slowly, the type of sauce you have with it can also effect the release of it.

When I saw Gary Scheiner speak, he said for things like pizza and pasta (basically really slow releasing foods) he recommends giving the whole bolus over 2 hours (square wave) and then increasing the basal to 150% for 8 hours after. He did of course point out that this is just a starting point and you can tweak the square wave and the time & % of basal increase. I tried it and it worked pretty well, I need to tweak it a bit but it was a really good start.

ok so dual wave isnt the way to go???? confused.com lol

thats me just recovering from this hypo, took ages!!! il prob end up high now grr lol

thanks for your help 🙂

It's a case of experimenting with the dual/multi wave on what split and timing works best with what foods...

Are you sure that the correction you added in didn't play a part with the hypo?

As you were eating an high carb amount this can make the insulin reaction a bit unperdictable more so when you are dealing with pasta type meals..

ok so dual wave isnt the way to go???? confused.com lol

thats me just recovering from this hypo, took ages!!! il prob end up high now grr lol

thanks for your help 🙂

It's just a suggestion he made, he said it works for lots of people! I know some parents use dual waves for pasta - they give the first bit to cover the sauce and then the rest over x amount of hours.

Knowing how slowly pasta releases, I'd say that for me I couldn't use an hour to give the insulin - like you I'd end up hypo then high! That's why I use the way Gary S suggested 🙂

It's just a suggestion he made, he said it works for lots of people! I know some parents use dual waves for pasta - they give the first bit to cover the sauce and then the rest over x amount of hours.

Knowing how slowly pasta releases, I'd say that for me I couldn't use an hour to give the insulin - like you I'd end up hypo then high! That's why I use the way Gary S suggested 🙂

klkl, yh il defo try it over more hours next time! thanks for the advice 🙂

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back