First time Hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was cooking a meal at about 1815 feeling a bit low I guessed but cracked on anyway, by 1830 I felt really rough so done a BG test and it was 3.3. I had about 250-300ml of Lucozade and tried to each dinner but was still rough and had to stop eating feeling sick. 1845 was 6.7, By around 1900 I was 9.5 so went for a 15 minute walk and then 6.4 about 1930. At 2030 I was down to 4.6.
All being well I will test about 2230 and see if it has levelled out (fingers crossed).
My question is! does this seem normal behaviour for a Hypo?

I do know from my lunch at work to my dinner was around 6.5hrs with nothing so in my own mind I'm blaming that and hopefully lesson learnt as a first one it was pretty unsettling.

Are you on any medication that causes hypos @Ranger ? If not, and your blood sugar has been high previously, you could feel hypo at normal numbers. Also, if your blood sugar swings up and down frequently, that can make you feel rough.

Remember that the glucose meters have a 15% margin of error so your 3.3 could have been, say, a 3.9 - ie a normal blood sugar for those who aren’t diabetic or who are but aren’t on glucose-lowering medication like insulin.

Are you on any medication that causes hypos @Ranger ? If not, and your blood sugar has been high previously, you could feel hypo at normal numbers. Also, if your blood sugar swings up and down frequently, that can make you feel rough.

Remember that the glucose meters have a 15% margin of error so your 3.3 could have been, say, a 3.9 - ie a normal blood sugar for those who aren’t diabetic or who are but aren’t on glucose-lowering medication like insulin.
Not on medication Inka, only been diagnosed 2-3 weeks. I was really keeping a close eye on it morning, before and after meals, and bed time they have been really good only ever 1 high at 8.9 all rest between 4-7. Saw a nurse "yesterday" who said "no need for all these readings to be honest, all looks under control". So I'm thinking happy days I only need to check when/if I feel rough !!
Then this today has knocked me.
I'm back down to 4.1 as of 10 minutes ago so I've just tried a chocolate digestive to just raise it a little before bedtime.
What a pain in the rear end this is, (and I'm not talking about the Lancet)

4.1 is a normal blood sugar @Ranger If you’re not on glucose-lowering meds, you shouldn’t need to worry about hypos. Your body should ensure you don’t drop too low whereas for people on meds like insulin, the insulin can force blood sugar down unnaturally low, causing hypos which can lead to unconsciousness and worse.

I can understand why you’re worried but you should be fine. Just have a small amount of something to eat for your own reassurance.

As you're not on insulin you don't need to do anything.
It'll come back up naturally. Mine was 3.4 the other day after a walk and some carbs, but after 15 minutes it was back up to 5.0.

4.1 is a normal blood sugar @Ranger If you’re not on glucose-lowering meds, you shouldn’t need to worry about hypos. Your body should ensure you don’t drop too low whereas for people on meds like insulin, the insulin can force blood sugar down unnaturally low, causing hypos which can lead to unconsciousness and worse.

I can understand why you’re worried but you should be fine. Just have a small amount of something to eat for your own reassurance.
Cheers Inka that's my plan,
just wanting to stay above 4 -5 so I'm pretty sure it doesn't keep dropping when I go to bed that's all. That's my theory, but pretty much guess work for everyone to start im thinking. Am seriously considering a CGM, only because checking at work is awkward and glancing at an app would be far more effective in my line of work. Cost is prohibitive though I'm thinking.

It shouldn’t keep dropping @Ranger Your body will keep it in range. It’s only the outside insulin that causes hypos for people like me who have Type 1. The food is really just for psychological reasons, which is an ok reason but you shouldn’t worry about it continuing to go down - because there’s nothing to make it do that.

As you're not on insulin you don't need to do anything.
It'll come back up naturally. Mine was 3.4 the other day after a walk and some carbs, but after 15 minutes it was back up to 5.0.
It may well come back up but not finding out it was 3.3 until I was feeling real crappie and testing and it being first time it did worry me.

Cheers Inka that's my plan,
just wanting to stay above 4 -5 so I'm pretty sure it doesn't keep dropping when I go to bed that's all. That's my theory, but pretty much guess work for everyone to start im thinking. Am seriously considering a CGM, only because checking at work is awkward and glancing at an app would be far more effective in my line of work. Cost is prohibitive though I'm thinking.
Perhaps you don't need to be checking quite so frequently, once you have found that a particular meal is ok then no real need to test it again.

It shouldn’t keep dropping @Ranger Your body will keep it in range. It’s only the outside insulin that causes hypos for people like me who have Type 1. The food is really just for psychological reasons, which is an ok reason but you shouldn’t worry about it continuing to go down - because there’s nothing to make it do that.
Thanks for the confidence boost Inka appreciate all the info on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back