First time CGM user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have just completed my first 14 day cycle using the Freestyle Libre thingymabob.
The general results would appear to indicate pre-D.
What confuses me is the seemingly utterly random individual results after watching loads of videos about spikes and carbs being baddies etc. To give just one example. 14 hours fast followed by one slice of wholemeal toast with butter was 7.8 but a 14 hour fast followed by a plate of cabbage and butter was 9.2! And All Bran shot up past 10!
Do you have to do this for a prolonged period to get a more reflective result or is it how your body reacts to a particular food whether its carb or not. Of course i know cabbage has some carbs but it is a recommended food.

If you are concerned you may have diabetes or prediabetes please go your gp and request a HbA1C as this is the diagnostic test which measures glucose over a period of three months. Cgm like libre are useful for understanding blood sugar but unless you understand what information they provide and how to use it are a waste of money and energy. ‘Spikes’ are normal as are ‘dips’. Blood glucose changes over the course of a day in response to multiple factors not just what you each None of the results you posted are particularly concerning in and of themselves so please just see your gp before you start worrying, perhaps unnecessarily.

Welcome to the forum @Turnbullissimo

One of the tricky things about blood glucose levels is that there can be many more things that affect levels that simply eating or not eating.

The body has various stores of glucose squirrelled away which it can release when needed (eg in the liver and muscles).

I wonder if the extended fasting may have freaked your liver out a bit, which may have dumped glucose to “help out” when you only ate cabbage?

As @Saoirse says, an HbA1c is a more reliable estimate of your body’s ability to manage glucose levels over an extended period if you are concerned you may be at risk of diabetes?

Welcome to the forum @Turnbullissimo

One of the tricky things about blood glucose levels is that there can be many more things that affect levels that simply eating or not eating.

The body has various stores of glucose squirrelled away which it can release when needed (eg in the liver and muscles).

I wonder if the extended fasting may have freaked your liver out a bit, which may have dumped glucose to “help out” when you only ate cabbage?

As @Saoirse says, an HbA1c is a more reliable estimate of your body’s ability to manage glucose levels over an extended period if you are concerned you may be at risk of diabetes?
Thanks for the reply. Yes probably best consulting the doc rather than self diagnosing via Youtube!

Thanks for the reply. Yes probably best consulting the doc rather than self diagnosing via Youtube!
Indeed yes. Also, given you've worn the thing for 14 days, look at the overall picture, specifically the time in range screen. What does that look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back