First time abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys, not been on here for a while.

I’m going Bulgaria this weekend for a skiing trip.

Not been abroad since type 1.

Any hints tips advice?

Will senser still work in cold? I work outside in winter in England and never had any problems.

My back up finger pricker on the other hand doesn’t like the cold.

The skiing in Bulgaria isn’t as high as say France or Italy so you would think it wouldn’t be as cold. What’s the temperature likely to be do you know? I think your sensor will be fine as you’ll be wrapped up, if you use a reader as opposed to a phone, you’ll need to keep it warm. They definitely don’t like the cold. I use to put mine in a sock in a pocket close to my body. I’ve never been skiing but I live in the north and I’ve done plenty of walking in the ice and the snow in the Lake District. Wrap your meter up too, mine doesn’t like the cold either. Have a great time.

I've not taken my T1 skiing but we have been overseas many times together.
Quite a few people seem to worry about flying and airport security but as you don''t have a pump, you shouldn't have any issues.
- Take at least twice as much of every thing than you think you will need. You have already mentioned that you will be taking your finger prick meter. If it uses batteries, take spares. If you use reusable pens, take your back up pens. ...
- Keep everything diabetes related in your hand luggage. There used to be discussions around whether the hold of the plane is too cold for insulin. To me, this is irrelevant - hold luggage can go missing and I don't to spend my holiday chasing diabetes supplies on the rare chance this will happen.
- Some airlines will allow you to take a medical bag as hand luggage. I have never done this because I find more than one bag a pain to lug around the airport. If you intend to take a second bag, prearrange this with the airline.
- Airport security typically, don't care about your diabetes. The sharps are too small for them to care about. Occasionally, they may pick up on the fact that insulin is a liquid (albeit in much less than 100ml containers) so I put my unopened cartridges in a clear plastic bag with my toiletries, just in case.
- Talking about "just in case", just in case airport security do get awkward it is recommended to take a letter from your doctor. Endos (or DSNs) from your diabetes clinic should be happy to write this for you in a way that can be used again and again and again. GPs, typically charge. IN 20 years and hundreds of flights, my letter has been needed once.
- Some people also take a copy of their prescription. Mine is electronic so nothing to take but I have never ever needed it.
- When on holiday, we eat differently, may drink more than usual and do more exercise, So, keep a closer eye than usual on your BG and take lots of hypo treatments.
- Talking hypo treatments, not only do you need to carry these in your hand luggage, I would also recommend you keep some with you in your seat. Believe me, having a hypo when taking off and realising your hypo treatment is in the overhead locker is not good. The glare from the air crew (and other passengers) when I took my seatbelt off and stood up was not pleasant.

Finally, (I think) have fun and enjoy the Bulgarian cheese (my only food memory from my last visit).

Great answers above @Jimmy2202 so I’ll just add Have a Wonderful Time 🙂 I suspect the skiing will burn up glucose so take plenty of hypo stuff and snacks out with you.

I've been and my sensors were fine (dexcom G7)
My basal needs did drop fairly substantially though which I put down to altitude (1500m) and more consistent exercise than normal. For context normal basal is around 20 units per day and I went down to around 14. Although then back up again as maybe I got used to the altitude or used to the exercise!

Biggest tip was to absolutely stack my pockets with hypo treatments. I didn't need them at all most days but when I did, I went in big

Enjoy the trip!

The skiing in Bulgaria isn’t as high as say France or Italy so you would think it wouldn’t be as cold. What’s the temperature likely to be do you know? I think your sensor will be fine as you’ll be wrapped up, if you use a reader as opposed to a phone, you’ll need to keep it warm. They definitely don’t like the cold. I use to put mine in a sock in a pocket close to my body. I’ve never been skiing but I live in the north and I’ve done plenty of walking in the ice and the snow in the Lake District. Wrap your meter up too, mine doesn’t like the cold either. Have a great time.
I've been and my sensors were fine (dexcom G7)
My basal needs did drop fairly substantially though which I put down to altitude (1500m) and more consistent exercise than normal. For context normal basal is around 20 units per day and I went down to around 14. Although then back up again as maybe I got used to the altitude or used to the exercise!

Biggest tip was to absolutely stack my pockets with hypo treatments. I didn't need them at all most days but when I did, I went in big

Enjoy the trip!
Happy days cheers for the reply!

I've not taken my T1 skiing but we have been overseas many times together.
Quite a few people seem to worry about flying and airport security but as you don''t have a pump, you shouldn't have any issues.
- Take at least twice as much of every thing than you think you will need. You have already mentioned that you will be taking your finger prick meter. If it uses batteries, take spares. If you use reusable pens, take your back up pens. ...
- Keep everything diabetes related in your hand luggage. There used to be discussions around whether the hold of the plane is too cold for insulin. To me, this is irrelevant - hold luggage can go missing and I don't to spend my holiday chasing diabetes supplies on the rare chance this will happen.
- Some airlines will allow you to take a medical bag as hand luggage. I have never done this because I find more than one bag a pain to lug around the airport. If you intend to take a second bag, prearrange this with the airline.
- Airport security typically, don't care about your diabetes. The sharps are too small for them to care about. Occasionally, they may pick up on the fact that insulin is a liquid (albeit in much less than 100ml containers) so I put my unopened cartridges in a clear plastic bag with my toiletries, just in case.
- Talking about "just in case", just in case airport security do get awkward it is recommended to take a letter from your doctor. Endos (or DSNs) from your diabetes clinic should be happy to write this for you in a way that can be used again and again and again. GPs, typically charge. IN 20 years and hundreds of flights, my letter has been needed once.
- Some people also take a copy of their prescription. Mine is electronic so nothing to take but I have never ever needed it.
- When on holiday, we eat differently, may drink more than usual and do more exercise, So, keep a closer eye than usual on your BG and take lots of hypo treatments.
- Talking hypo treatments, not only do you need to carry these in your hand luggage, I would also recommend you keep some with you in your seat. Believe me, having a hypo when taking off and realising your hypo treatment is in the overhead locker is not good. The glare from the air crew (and other passengers) when I took my seatbelt off and stood up was not pleasant.

Finally, (I think) have fun and enjoy the Bulgarian cheese (my only food memory from my last visit).
Very informative thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back