First summer as type 1 diabetic. Finding it callaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So I this is first summer and what seems to be a bit of a heat wave as a a disnisingisd type 1 diabetic(I say diagnosised because I suspect I did have it last summer just didn't know about it. And I'm finding it challenging eating glucose tablets/jelly babies etc seems to be regaluar occursnce this week. I'm aware that I need to change something and already going to reduce my evening radito back and perhaps at some point a background change too deal with drops earlier on. To work this out I plan do some background tests to see what's happening at different times of the day I do offen find it hard to do a background change on pens though. Sorry for the long post just wanted to say that I'm finding this heat rather changeling.

Yes, me too @rayray119 Went out in the garden for a few minutes and blood sugar dropped quickly, presumably from the heat. I don’t think there’s any magic answer to it. I do tend to eat more carbs if I’m out in the sun and that helps. You might need to drop your basal a little too.

Yeah that's why I'm planning to do some background tests.

TBH, I don’t bother. The weather can change so quickly that by the time you’ve tested over a few days, it’s gone colder again!

Looks like this time it's here for a while though but yes I guess there is that.

Although I think I may need to get some background tests this done anyway.

Ah yeah you're right does look like it is going to get cooler again next week.

I was on the Algarve a week ago, and I found my levels going very low due to me basking in the sun, so I factored in some extra carbs as snacks between meals .

I was on the Algarve a week ago, and I found my levels going very low due to me basking in the sun, so I factored in some extra carbs as snacks between meals .
That's what I've been doing. Checking and eating I've had 5 hypos but on other days got to the low 4s which I tend to treet in the same way to make sure. It's also quite annoying(and perhaps a little concerning) because the heat can affect me in the same way a hypo I've never done well with heat. A slight problem with reducing Livermir is there's times where really don't feel like going out it's so hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back