First Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

CazzaB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone.
I’m almost due for my first diabetes (type2) review. Before my diagnosis all of my bloods were fasting blood tests. This time they are just normal. Is this the usual protocol? I was unsure how they could compare the results if they weren’t done the same way.
Any help is greatly appreciated

C x

I've never had to fast for a test...the a1c test, which is the one i'd expect you to get doesn't need fasting.
In fact, i can't recall having ever had to fast for a test

As for comparing, you are right, not sure they are comparable

If the tests include a lipid profile or sometimes for cholesterol then they would be fasting but if just an HbA1c then really no need and they would be comparable.

A fasting HbA1c will get the same result as a non-fasting test- for HbA1c. The analysis is looking for markers that are up to months old so the fasting remit is not needed. Sometimes other tests being done from blood being taken at the same time needs fasting.

My surgery have stopped doing fasting lipids/cholesterol, so it maybe that your surgery used to request a fasting test for cholesterol, but have also now dropped that requirement. As others have said, it makes no difference to HbA1c result, so it really should not be an issue.

thanks for explaining what the fasting test would have been. You live and learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back