First results of using Glucose monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addy154

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Bought my first glucose monitor yesterday. Did my first test before dinner last night and got a 5.8 then two hours later it was 7.9. I take one metformin after dinner so I presume it did its job helping no major rise with my blood sugar.

This morning my result was 7.5 before breakfast, after breakfast which I also had one metformin with I got a 6.2 which I thought was odd, surly it would go up. So I checked again and got 5.9. Can that happen after meals it drops, or did I probably just do my first test in morning wrong?

Bought my first glucose monitor yesterday. Did my first test before dinner last night and got a 5.8 then two hours later it was 7.9. I take one metformin after dinner so I presume it did its job helping no major rise with my blood sugar.

This morning my result was 7.5 before breakfast, after breakfast which I also had one metformin with I got a 6.2 which I thought was odd, surly it would go up. So I checked again and got 5.9. Can that happen after meals it drops, or did I probably just do my first test in morning wrong?
People often find that their waking reading is higher, because the body gears itself up for the day (when we used to have to go out with a spear to hunt our breakfast) by getting the liver to release glucose into the bloodstream. When we eat breakfast, the body knows it’s been fed, so the liver can stop pumping out so much, and the pancreas is also triggered by eating to get into the swing of things, releasing what insulin it can, and our blood glucose falls.

I take one metformin after dinner so I presume it did its job helping no major rise with my blood sugar.
Metformin is more a drug that provides a long term effect. It's taken with food to try and reduce the side effects, not because that's when you want the effect.
Can that happen after meals it drops,
Sure. You have a body that's trying to keep blood glucose fairly level, so after eating you expect some rise and then a fall. And as @Robin notes the morning is a special case: had you not eaten anything I'd expect your BG to fall anyway (because probably the morning result was a bit high and your pancreas would have reduced it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back