First post - pump choices

AST4

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone
I have had type 1 diabetes for 41 years and currently use a Diasend G6 & Omnipod pump (old version).
This is my first post on the forum & I hope someone can advise me. My diabetes team now thinks that I should change pumps to the Tandem Slim as it is more intuitive than the Omnipod. Although we keep tweaking my basal rates I still get unexpected hypos so the Tanden Slim together with the G6 can make insulin adjustments. Problem is I am used to a patch pump and not keen on using a tubed pump again (I started pump life 12 years ago with a Medronic Paradigm) I was contemplating a DIY approach but am not very technically minded. Your thoughts please

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome.

I am on MDI so can't advise re pump but we do have plenty of members who have experience with pumps and will hopefully be along soon to give their opinion or you could post in the "Pumping" section where they may be more likely to see it and respond.

Good luck with sorting out your rogue hypos whichever pump you go for.

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi @AST4 welcome to the forum.

It’s been mentioned that Omnipod are looking to integrate the Libre which could help, but I don’t think much info has been shared about what exactly that will look like or even when it will be - but could be worth asking your team about in case they know more.

I have heard only good things about the Tandem/Dexcom combination and it has the added bonus of automatic updates as things change, rather than having to wait until next pump upgrade to get benefit of new features as they’re added. Though can understand its a big change going from patch pump to tubed if you’ve like the patch pump.

Im sure others will be along with lots of thoughts/info/advice. :)

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @AST4 choosing a pump is always difficult as each one has different pros and cons, but as @everydayupsanddowns points out it is only for four years and things are changing so quickly at present.

I attended a pump update just before the lockdown. We do not have the tslim as an option but I did get a look at the new Accu Check patch pump. Sorry I can’t remember the name of it. There was also talk of this being able to link with a sensor.

Sorry not to be able to offer more than that.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Accu Check patch pump. Sorry I can’t remember the name of it. There was also talk of this being able to link with a sensor.
I think that’s the Solo isn’t it?

I think there are plans for Omnipod to link with Libre (which might be connected with Tidepool... but I would have to refresh my memory on that!).

The DIY community is vast and very helpful from what I can tell, though I understand your caution.

I am looking at the TSlim too, and have a phone appointment next week to discuss things.

If you are interested, (and have a suitable phone) you might want to download the tSlim simulator app that allows you to look at the menus, interfaces and settings on your phone as if it was a pump.

Last edited: