First patient recruited to major international diabetes trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Doctors and scientists at the University of Glasgow have recruited the first patient to join a major international research project to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease in people with type 1 diabetes (T1D).

The five-year, ?4.25m trial, funded by the international T1D research charity JDRF and led by researchers at the Universities of Glasgow and Dundee, will study the effects of a drug called metformin on people aged 40 and over who have type 1 diabetes.

Cardiovascular disease is one of the leading causes of death associated with T1D. A U.K. study has shown that men in their 40s with T1D are three times more likely to develop cardiovascular disease than the general population, and the risk for diabetic women of the same age is fivefold.

The trial, known as REMOVAL (Reducing with MetfOrmin Vascular Adverse Lesions in type 1 diabetes), will recruit 500 participants from the UK, Canada, Australia, Denmark and the Netherlands.

They will be given either metformin or a placebo in addition to their regular insulin therapy and researchers will monitor the effect on control of their diabetes as well as other common complications such as diabetic eye disease.

http://www.healthcanal.com/metaboli...uited-major-international-diabetes-trial.html

From what I have read, I think I'd spot the difference if I'd been given metformin as opposed to a placebo! 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back