First official slip up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purls of Wisdom

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Too busy looking after the extended family and in a rush to catch my fav TV programme, I bit in to my sandwich. Only realised halfway through my dinner that I have not taken NovoRapid. Not knowing what do, I proceeded with finishing my meal and thought I can take it after the meal.
Is this the right thing to do?
I am feeling a bit disheartened at the fact that this is the way of life for me. Still finding it hard to accept.

Easily done @Purls of Wisdom I’d inject during the meal if I’d forgotten to do it beforehand. I wouldn’t wait until the end unless I was just about to finish.

I would have injected when I realised but it doesn't matter if you were too busy. Did you spike too badly afterward?

No need to panic, you may get a further rise but things will settle and your bolus will broadly catch up. I can't remember are you doing any corrections or just still on the fixed doses?

What are you panicking about

Libre 2 10.2
Finger pricking 12.5
I am paniking now!
What’s your number now?
If it stops you panicking, I didn’t forget to do my dinner injection yesterday and spiked up to 15 so 12.5 isn’t too bad

I ate a chocolate brownie yesterday, injected just before eating it and ended up spiking from 4.0 to 14.4 because I didn't inject the insulin far enough in advance of eating it. As long as it comes back down again it isn't really too much of a concern, especially at this early stage in your diagnosis.

I ate a chocolate brownie yesterday, injected just before eating it and ended up spiking from 4.0 to 14.4 because I didn't inject the insulin far enough in advance of eating it. As long as it comes back down again it isn't really too much of a concern, especially at this early stage in your diagnosis.

What are you panicking about
Little knowledge is more dangerous than not knowing at all!

And I discovered halfway through this afternoon that I'd neither tested my blood with my meter today nor had any insulin for my sandwich at lunchtime - mine was 20.7 - since then I had a cake with a cuppa and I've had my evening meal and damn, just tested and I'm 3.7 right now, so I've just had a modest hypo treat and I'll await the results along with the Eurovision results - we haven't watched this for some years but nowt else we fancied on telly - we've reverted to our working class expectations and also watched the cup final even though we couldn't really care less who won - but it really was a pleasure to watch for a lovely change! Very equal match.

Thanks. Because you bolused after eating its possible that your bolus won't have quite the same effect as it might have had when pre-bolusing. This is NOT something to worry about.

We are all different in how our bodies respond to diabetes, but in general many people find their body's natural resistance to insulin increases when their BG is elevated and the consequence of that is that the insulin being taken doesn't go quite so far as it might when BG is in range, ie 4-10. So it's possible that your later bolus won't give you the full recovery and you might be a little higher than normal as you go to bed.

These things happen and no damage will come from being a little high for a modest period. It is when one is in the hyper zone for days or weeks that it can become a concern. One risk is of getting high ketones when your BG is above 15 and I assume you were given ketone testing strips, usually to use in your normal test meter (I happen to have a glucose test meter that doesn't take ketone strips, so I have to use a different device). Don't let this get to you; remember stress elevates BG on its own!

I understand your observation about things happening faster than you've been taught. We can't go back in time, so stay relaxed and keep this slip up in perspective. We all go high occasionally. Good luck.

I meant, if you’re panicking you must be thinking there will be certain outcomes from your bg or blousing, what exactly are those concerns then we can explain them to reduce your panic

I meant, if you’re panicking you must be thinking there will be certain outcomes from your bg or blousing, what exactly are those concerns then we can explain them to reduce your panic
Hi, I thrive on numbers. Like to stick to rules. That is just the way I am. Always full of questions. My concern was since I had missed the dose, it is bound to cause something which I wouldn't know how to handle.

I thrive on numbers. Like to stick to rules.
That must come in handy with your knitting. I only recently realised how mathematical it is, especially when shaping.

The frustrating thing with diabetes is that it doesn't always behave. It doesn't always follow the rules. I think of it like a petulant child. Does as it's supposed most of the time and then has a sulk.
We can never fully control children. Not just because of the child's personality but also because life does not revolve around them. Diabetes is the same - it cannot be controlled all the time and things happen in the rest of our lives that affects it.

We can't unpick a mistake like knitting but we can pick up a dropped stitch when we spot it. And, just like knitting, it's the result that matters not how we get there.

Last edited:
Hi, I thrive on numbers. Like to stick to rules. That is just the way I am. Always full of questions.
I also like numbers and generally happy to have rules as a starting point; I'm a retired Civil Engineer and followed my father into that profession (as did my late older brother). I continuously ask questions (and I know that my eclectic inquisitiveness frustrates my family sometimes!). But I like to know the basis of a rule, rather than blindly follow. If I've been convinced about the underlying merit of a rule from first principles, then I'll allow myself to unthinkingly adhere to the rule.

My concern was since I had missed the dose, it is bound to cause something which I wouldn't know how to handle.
Yes, I understood that. Early last week my BG unexpectedly started climbing way above 10 after breakfast. I was sure I'd bolused (I thought I remembered when I actually did it) so assumed my bolus and carb intake were just out of sync - albeit I couldn't work out why. When I reached 17, I doubted myself and checked my NovoEcho pen, which remembers your last dose and approximately when taken. I hadn't bolused! So I then retrospectively took my food bolus, about 2hrs late and my next doubt was should I also take extra to correct the high. I reasoned that my insulin resistance would be increased because I was so high, so I added in a correction at a strengthened ratio and monitored. Sure enough (said smugly!) recovery occurred and my extra was fine; but I did check a lot that morning and I had a hypo response pack beside me in the garden all morning.
While I understand this sentiment that's not my way. I like to know. If that knowledge is incomplete I try to find out more and meanwhile accept my limited knowledge has limitations on how I use that knowledge. We live in a world where today's technology provides unlimited little packets of knowledge, by no means all of which is correct or useful. But it's there and once it's caught my attention it trys to dominate my thinking and actions; and once seen its difficult to ignore. But its easier to discard if I can satisfy myself that I know enough about the snippet to realise its rubbish and by this stage its no longer a little bit of knowledge nor dangerous! 😉

I'd rather know something than nothing at all. Knowledge Dispels Fear.

My brain would horrify your brain - although I was perfectly happy with GCE O Level maths, and that's more than enough for the mental arithmetic required by T1, I also found the comment made in my teens that we all knew very well by then that the real reason Pythagorus was famous was for keeping pet right angled triangles on the lower slopes of Mount Olympus in ancient times, both appropriate and funny! :D

Ah be kind to yourself @Purls of Wisdom

You quickly realised your error, and quickly developed a plan to recover, which you carried out. You aren’t the first to have done it, and this won’t be the last time you get yourself in that position.

Give yourself credit for keeping a cool head and safely getting yourself back in range pretty speedily,

Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back