First meeting with diabetic nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee132

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi all, so I've had my first appointment with the diabetic nurse since being confirmed as being type 2, asked me about diet and she made me appointments to get my eyes and feet checked, she said she's not going to put me on medication yet as she wants to give me 4 months to get my blood sugars down from 51 to back in the borderline region.Just a question,do I qualify to get free prescriptions for my other meds as I'm type 2 but not on any diabetic medication or do you only quality if your prescribed type 2 medication.

if you are diet controlled only then no.
under who can apply
  • diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
(you would need to apply for the exemption certificate if you qualify at any point in the future)

If you’re in England, then @gll is right. Diet control means you don’t qualify for free prescriptions. If the cost of your prescriptions for other conditions is problematic then you could look into low income prescription exemptions that you may qualify for, or prescription pre payment certificates if you don’t qualify for any low income exemptions.

If you do need medication for diabetes at any point then you can apply for the medical exemption card which would give all prescriptions for all conditions for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back