First hypos, basal reduction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elenka_HM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone.

After a couple months taking Levemir, I had my first hypo last evening at work. It was only 3'8 and easy to solve. I think I had some less carbs than usual in my midday meal and the shift was quite busy, so it could explain it.

Today I had a similar hypo before this meal, for no apparent reason. I don't know if you are more "at risk" the day after a hypo. At least they were both mild and solved quickly.

I was wondering if it would make sense reducing my Levemir 1 unit tomorrow, as I have another similar working day. I take 10 units so, it would be 9 (the minimal change I can make with my pen). Maybe it's an overreaction, there are newbie's nerves!

Would appreciate your opinions.

PS: Levemir is the only insulin I take, so no option of changing bolus doses or times.

Last edited:
I would not be making a reduction to my basal based on one hypo in a couple of months.
Sounds as if you have already worked out the culprit with your midday meal and shift.
Is it possible to carry a biscuit or bar in your pocket to snack on when you realise your shift is busier than usual to keep youre levels up?

@helli I was thinking the pocket in my uniform is ridiculously small, but I found out if fits one of those light cereal bars (maybe because they are also ridiculously small). Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back