First Hypo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazscot

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Think I might have had my first hypo 😱. During lab class in uni I started feeling dizzy and shaky, my lab parter said I went as white as a sheet, and my heart was beating fast as well. I dont carry my testing kit around with me 😡 (as I have been told I dont need to test that much) so couldnt check my levels. (I hadnt eaten for about 5 hours). Somebody gave me chocolate and a banana and I felt OK afterwards. Phoned the gps surgery and nurse spoke to me - she said that I am not on the type of tablets that normally cause hypos so recons it might have just been low blood sugar but I am still frightened and upset by it all. Tested when I got home and I am at a normal level 6.7.

I have leart 3 valuable things 1 always carry your testing kit 2 always have glucose with you (nurse is leaving me a prescription for glucose gel) and 3 eat regularly. I just didnt think it could happen to me I am sitting here bubbling cause it really terrified me.

cazscot - sounds like a nasty experience :( glad you're feeling (physically) better now. big hugs.

the good thing though is you've learnt from it - so if you do feel like that again, you can treat it straight away. i find it handy to keep a packet of Dextrose tablets (you can buy them in most pharmacys, boots, etc) in my handbag in case of emergencies. if i've planned ahead i usually make sure there is some lucozade to hand, but that isn't always the case!

Sounds horrible, hun, but learning from the experience is invaluable.

xx

I'm not supposed to be having them either Caz, but I do. And you're right, it's scary, but at least now you know what it feels like and what to do. I'm glad you're feeling better now.

oh caz you take care, i've done it if not eaten in morning...big hugs xx

Many thanks, everybody. Feeling better now (emotionally) 🙂 was just a bit frightening but at least I will know now what to look out for.

Far easier than glucose gel is a few sweets in your pocket - wrapped bolied sweets are convenient, and particularly good for eating in lab, as you can unwrap with teeth and not actually touch the sweet, which can be important, depending on the type of lab work and lab rules. Your pocket is nearly always nearer than handbag (assuming you have one - I don't!), in a lab where bags may have to be hung up away from your bench.

Far easier than glucose gel is a few sweets in your pocket - wrapped bolied sweets are convenient, and particularly good for eating in lab, as you can unwrap with teeth and not actually touch the sweet, which can be important, depending on the type of lab work and lab rules. Your pocket is nearly always nearer than handbag (assuming you have one - I don't!), in a lab where bags may have to be hung up away from your bench.

Thanks very much, Copepod I would have never thought about doing that, what a great idea will be buying some tomorrow... Only problem I could see for me is I would want to eat the sweets anyway but I suppose that is were willpower comes in :D

I hope you are feeling better. I'm glad someone was able to help you.

I keep a spare meter in my desk at work as well as one in my handbag and one at home. The one in my handbag has got other people out of trouble loads of times. I've only needed it a couple of times, but it is reassuring to know it is there if I need it.

I never go anywhere without a packet of dextrose tablets, I also keep them in my desk at work along with a bottle of lucozade in case of emergancies.

Hi Caz, glad to hear that you're OK and got through it. I think the first hypo is always going to be scary, however well prepared you are because you simply don't know what's happening. People can tell you what to expect, but until it actually happens it's difficult to tie the sensation to the knowledge! I had my first hypo whilst doing some gardening - suddenly started getting all the symptoms - I sort of knew what it was but couldn't remember what I was supposed to do and I was on my own. Also, because your brain is in distress at the lack of glucose, the hormones released are the ones that make you feel scared, so there's no escaping it!

Now that you have experienced it though it shouldn't be quite as scary should it happen again. Most of the time when I have them I feel the symptoms very mildly as they are coming on and am able to act straightaway.

Think I might have had my first hypo 😱...
...(nurse is leaving me a prescription for glucose gel)

Hi Caz, hope you're feeling better now, but it's good you're seeing the positive and learning from it.

Can I ask what glucose gel is avaliable on prescription?? Can anyone get it?

Cheers

Rossi

Hi Caz, hope you're feeling better now, but it's good you're seeing the positive and learning from it.

Can I ask what glucose gel is avaliable on prescription?? Can anyone get it?

Cheers

Rossi

I've got something called 'Glucogel' on prescription, but have never used it - prefer jelly babies!🙂

I've got something called 'Glucogel' on prescription, but have never used it - prefer jelly babies!🙂

You can get it on prescription, either 3 small tubes, or 1 bottle with 3 treatments in it, but I think it tastes gross so would only use it if there was nothing else.

You can get it on prescription, either 3 small tubes, or 1 bottle with 3 treatments in it, but I think it tastes gross so would only use it if there was nothing else.

I agree it is rank. I use glucotabs. I have a small tube I carry around with me, and a big pot at home to keep the tube topped up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back