First hypo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairyNuff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Was feeling decidedly odd whilst on the phone to my Dad. Felt shaky and my lips were numb. Checked my sugar and it was 4.5, which I know isn't low but it is for me. Sometimes I am up to 14 still after meals.

So I had my glucose tablet, am just eating a sandwich and already feel better. Will re-check sugar in a mo. This is my lunch now, I presume I miss my insulin for this meal? Don't think anyone thought I'd be that low anytime soon!

So relieved now I've had one and know what I feel like!

Thanks 🙂

I've had a few over the past couple of weeks, although I don't notice anything until it drops to below 2.5. Lowest I've gone is 2.1. Hope you're feeling better now anyway!

What do you mean about not taking your isulin? Because you had a hypo? I'd give the helpline a quick call first before making any decisions like that if I were you :confused:

Hi Fairynuff, good to know that the hypo was in a situation where you had access to glucose tablets and that you felt it happening.

I have been down to 4mmol/L without feeling any effects so I'm worried that I won't be aware of a hypo until too late. I'm thinking of asking my diabetes nurse if I can intentionally induce a hypo in a controlled situation so that I know what it feels like. I'm concerned that at the moment I'm so focused on keeping my BG low that I don't have enough fear of a hypo. Other people have talked about keeping their BG a bit high because of fear of hypos but I think I'm the opposite.

Hi Fairynuff.

Well done for spotting it and reacting. If you've eaten something to bring your BG back up, you should be able to carry on as normal. ie. eat your dinner, then inject as you normally would.

Unless you have been told otherwise by your medical team, treat the hypo, then inject to cover your meal or you'll end up with not enough insulin in your body to metabolise the carbs.

Fruitloaf's idea is excellent. When I was diagnosed, they kept me in hospital until I'd experienced one. I thought I had but as I found out, I hadn't.
Keeping as low as safely possible is always better than running high but too many hypos can decrease sensitivity to symptoms and can risk complications too. Good game innit ?!!! :D

Rob

I have a hypo at least once a week, usually before my lunch...........and I can spot the signs really early on which is good and blood is usually 3.5 or there abouts..............i think its healthy, as a diabetic to have them every now and again............

You would always take your insulin though, even if you have to reduce the dose if its close to your next meal...............

It could be what I've come to refer to as a 'relative hypo', which happens when your body has become conditioned to higher levels. If you're high to start with, then dropping any amount to reach a point which is low 'for you', will trigger the same sort of symptoms as a hypo would at normal levels.

As you get down to more stable levels, I would imagine you'll start feeling fine at 4.5 🙂

I've found that I can get symptoms at that sort of level when I'm actively dropping. Almost an inbuilt trend alarm.

Also, if I'm busy, busy or wandering around shops and engrossed in what I'm doing, I can be well below 3 before I feel the symptoms. I think adrenalin or some other excitement type hormone keeps me going until I really have to stop.

Bear in mind also that the symptoms can change dramatically over time. But you'll get to know your own signs.

Rob

Definitely don't miss your lunchtime insulin, take it as normal - otherwise you will have a big spike.

edit: just realised it's 5.30pm and a bit late to talk about lunchtime insulin :D

I have been down to 4mmol/L without feeling any effects so I'm worried that I won't be aware of a hypo until too late. I'm thinking of asking my diabetes nurse if I can intentionally induce a hypo in a controlled situation so that I know what it feels like. I'm concerned that at the moment I'm so focused on keeping my BG low that I don't have enough fear of a hypo. Other people have talked about keeping their BG a bit high because of fear of hypos but I think I'm the opposite.

Fruitloaf, there is no need to fear hypos (although I can understand why some people do). It's part of having type 1 and the majority of people will feel it. You are unlikely to feel hypo at 4mmol/L if your levels are well controlled, but it's likely that you would feel it if you went lower.

Thank you all so much for the help, advice and support 🙂 Didn't know what to do about taking insulin after a hypo, so thanks for helping me out. They probably have told me, but they have told me too much all at once lol

So I did take my insulin as normal, I'm back to my all over the place figures, got a nasty 14.5 after lunch, down to 6.3 just before dinner. Whenever I get a huge figure they say that's the pregnancy hormones, I dunno, still learning!

Now I'm gutted I wasted my hypo on a glucose tablet, shoulda gone for the jelly baby remedy :D

I've found that I can get symptoms at that sort of level when I'm actively dropping. Almost an inbuilt trend alarm.

Also, if I'm busy, busy or wandering around shops and engrossed in what I'm doing, I can be well below 3 before I feel the symptoms. I think adrenalin or some other excitement type hormone keeps me going until I really have to stop.

Bear in mind also that the symptoms can change dramatically over time. But you'll get to know your own signs.

Rob
i know what you mean about when your doing something my son was on the computer and felt low so did a check and he was 1.3 😱
normally he would feel it around 3.0 worse thing was i could.t find hid tabs so gave him some sugar'y lemonade took a while to come up so found his tabs he had a couple over done it as usual but i don't care as long as he come up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back