First Hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharp00782

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

Had my first proper hypo on Thursday. One minute I was absolutely fine and then completely not! Scanned my Libre 2 and it literally just said "LO" in big letters. I had the shakes, hot flushes, sweating like a pig and freezing cold at the same time. Had to smash some hobnobs down to get my levels back up. I just ate loads to be fair as didn't know how many I would need.

Any advise for this situation as to quantities of whatever I should have to bring myself back up?

Thanks

Any advise for this situation as to quantities of whatever I should have to bring myself back up?
About 15g carbs of something that's nearly pure sugar. (So not hobnobs!) Something with liquid is better than something dry. The goal is to speed up digestion. So 3 or 4 jelly babies with a drink, or one of those small cartons of fruit juice, or a sugary drink of some kind.

Then wait 15 minutes and test with test strips. (Or, if you're confident you're not going horribly low quickly, see if scanning has started rising within half an hour or so. But if it's reading LO you're probably beyond where using the Libre 2 is sensible.)

Hi All,

Had my first proper hypo on Thursday. One minute I was absolutely fine and then completely not! Scanned my Libre 2 and it literally just said "LO" in big letters. I had the shakes, hot flushes, sweating like a pig and freezing cold at the same time. Had to smash some hobnobs down to get my levels back up. I just ate loads to be fair as didn't know how many I would need.

Thanks
Hob nobs arnt the best hypo treatment you should have fast acting carbs such as jelly babies or gluogose tablets. Did you finger prick to see what your levels actually we're you might not have been as low as what the libre was saying.
everyone reacts differently to hypo when it comes to treating hypos but as a Starting point the standard advice is treat 15gs of fast acting carbs wait 15 mins and retest(do this with a finger pick as the libres a bit behind) and then have about 10 to 15gs of slower acting carbs(this is when the hobnobs)will come in to follow up(not everyone needs to follow up carbs but it's a good starting point)

In addition to the great advice from @Bruce Stephens , I would also add
"Try to understand what caused the hypo."

I try to use hypos as a learning experience.
- Did I eat less than expected?
- Did I include fibre when carb counting?
- Did my insulin work faster than my carb digestion?
- Did I exercise more than planned ... including anything over the last 48 hours?

Twice, I have written "Try" because some times I can get no further than "I had too much insulin." However, this is rare and in retrospect, hypos can be a learning experience.

Hob nobs arnt the best hypo treatment you should have fast acting carbs such as jelly babies or gluogose tablets. Did you finger prick to see what your levels actually we're you might not have been as low as what the libre was saying.
everyone reacts differently to hypo when it comes to treating hypos but as a Starting point the standard advice is treat 15gs of fast acting carbs wait 15 mins and retest(do this with a finger pick as the libres a bit behind) and then have about 10 to 15gs of slower acting carbs(this is when the hobnobs)will come in to follow up(not everyone needs to follow up carbs but it's a good starting point)
Yes, the finger prick also read "LO". I will get some jelly babies and some lucozade for the future.

Yes, the finger prick also read "LO". I will get some jelly babies and some lucozade for the future.
Okay most BG matters read down to 1.1(sorry don't want to scare you) so diffinatty not hobnob situation. It's all learning though. I'm surprised noones gone over this with you I was told how to treat an hypo before I leafed the hospital when diagnosised

Scary! You should have been given advice about hypo treatments when you were diagnosed. Dextro glucose tablets are what I was recommended. They’re pretty much pure glucose, work quickly, and are easy to buy and carry in your bag. There are also more expensive Lift Gluco drinks which are good for bad hypos. A mini 150ml can of Coke is good too.

You’re lucky the Hobnobs worked. If you were dropping very fast, they might not have done. Never underestimate how nasty hypos can be. Always carry your hypo stuff with you (glucose) and have stashes in the house eg by your bed and somewhere downstairs.

Scary! You should have been given advice about hypo treatments when you were diagnosed. Dextro glucose tablets are what I was recommended. They’re pretty much pure glucose, work quickly, and are easy to buy and carry in your bag. There are also more expensive Lift Gluco drinks which are good for bad hypos. A mini 150ml can of Coke is good too.

You’re lucky the Hobnobs worked. If you were dropping very fast, they might not have done. Never underestimate how nasty hypos can be. Always carry your hypo stuff with you (glucose) and have stashes in the house eg by your bed and somewhere downstairs.
Yes it was far from ideal. Couldn't believe who my body just changed in an instant. How many glucose tablets would you suggest if (when) this happens again?

Yes it was far from ideal. Couldn't believe who my body just changed in an instant. How many glucose tablets would you suggest if (when) this happens again?

I was told to take 3 Dextro tablets and more as needed. If I was moderately low, I might only take a couple if I was confident I’d be ok, but 3 Dextros is a good starting point. If it was a severe hypo, I’d go for 4 or 5. Occasionally blood sugar can plummet and hypos need fast treatment to keep you ok and functioning. You can also use Dextro tablets before and during exercise.

The fact the hypo came on so suddenly is frightening. Until you have one, you don’t really understand what they’re like. Have you got alarms set on your Libre? I’ve got my Low alarm set at the higher end of the range so I can be alerted in time to hopefully ward off any hypo or at least catch it early.

Hi All,

Thanks
You will find your own way. I use 3 Jelly babies. That is usually enough. Give it 10 mins. If still low have 2 more. Trouble is if you have masses to eat, then you’ll get a high later. I always have sweets on me, always. X

I was told to take 3 Dextro tablets and more as needed. If I was moderately low, I might only take a couple if I was confident I’d be ok, but 3 Dextros is a good starting point. If it was a severe hypo, I’d go for 4 or 5. Occasionally blood sugar can plummet and hypos need fast treatment to keep you ok and functioning. You can also use Dextro tablets before and during exercise.

The fact the hypo came on so suddenly is frightening. Until you have one, you don’t really understand what they’re like. Have you got alarms set on your Libre? I’ve got my Low alarm set at the higher end of the range so I can be alerted in time to hopefully ward off any hypo or at least catch it early.
I do have alarms on my Libre but on this particular sensor due to expire today for some reason they have never worked, all it says is "Alarms are unavailable. Scan sensor". Doesn't matter how many times I scan it.

I do have alarms on my Libre but on this particular sensor due to expire today for some reason they have never worked, all it says is "Alarms are unavailable. Scan sensor". Doesn't matter how many times I scan it.

How annoying - they would have alerted you :(

Sorry to hear about your hypo @sharp00782. I always have a juice box handy (by the bed, in the kitchen / car, at my mum’s, in my handbag) - for me, a sugary drink works more quickly than a dextrose tab or Jelly Baby.

Are you going to complain to Abbott about the lack of alarms? This problem seems to be effecting a lot of people (incl. me). I emailed a complaint to them over the weekend. They really need to fix this problem!

Glad to hear you’re okay - I remember my first hypo vividly. 🙂

Sorry to hear about your hypo @sharp00782. I always have a juice box handy (by the bed, in the kitchen / car, at my mum’s, in my handbag) - for me, a sugary drink works more quickly than a dextrose tab or Jelly Baby.

Are you going to complain to Abbott about the lack of alarms? This problem seems to be effecting a lot of people (incl. me). I emailed a complaint to them over the weekend. They really need to fix this problem!

Glad to hear you’re okay - I remember my first hypo vividly. 🙂
Thanks for your thoughts appreciate that. Yeah I’m ok. I am annoyed as started a fresh sensor and same alarm issue. It’s crap really.

Yikes! Sounds pretty scary for you @sharp00782 - it always takes me a few days to emotionally recover from a nasty low like that. Almost like your body has betrayed you, and left you really vulnerable. I find it very unsettling to see how quickly things can change, and how fragile the body’s equilibrium can be. Insulin can be strong stuff!

You’ve had great suggestions already. certainly having ready access to hypo treatment at all times is vital. Always have something on your person, as well as backups close by on every floor of the house. You din’t want to have to go wandering off to fetch stuff in that condition!

Also it’s worth getting medical ID, and one of those wallet cards that explains what to do if someone finds you a bit doolalley / confused. Meter companies / insulin manufacturers used to distribute them in the old days, though there may be free downloads you can print yourself these days!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back