First hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbinky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All.
I've recently started using Novorapid. I've never really considered hypos seriously because my readings have always been high. I had my first hypo today. Luckily it was obvious something was up early on and I was working from home and I could sort it quickly. But it's now several hours later and I feel exhausted and drugged, although BG improved quickly after and is still fine. Is it normal to feel like this a while after, or could it be either a coincidence, or just me tuning into a hypochondriac? (No pun intended, haha.)

Hi All.
I've recently started using Novorapid. I've never really considered hypos seriously because my readings have always been high. I had my first hypo today. Luckily it was obvious something was up early on and I was working from home and I could sort it quickly. But it's now several hours later and I feel exhausted and drugged, although BG improved quickly after and is still fine. Is it normal to feel like this a while after, or could it be either a coincidence, or just me tuning into a hypochondriac? (No pun intended, haha.)

Get yourself libre2, it has alarms & will alert you before you go low.

Get yourself libre2, it has alarms & will alert you before you go low.
Funnily enough, I recently started using them. I didn't set up the alarms though, never thinking I was at risk of a hypo. I start a new one in a couple of days and will definitely set them this time. I didn't realise how quickly it could drop. I only scanned about an hour before and it was well in range. Lots to learn I guess.

Funnily enough, I recently started using them. I didn't set up the alarms though, never thinking I was at risk of a hypo. I start a new one in a couple of days and will definitely set them this time. I didn't realise how quickly it could drop. I only scanned about an hour before and it was well in range. Lots to learn I guess.

Had diabetes long time so had fair share of hypos, that said have very few nowadays mainly due to using pump & libre 2 alarm.

My low alarm is set at 4.8 but you could set yours higher if wanted.

Working for home definitely makes monitoring, treating, and recovering from, hypos easier.

I keep my alarm a bit higher too, not to treat, but to know when I need to keep an eye on things or have a small snack (a bit of apple, a cup of tea with milk, a small sweet) to keep out of hypo territory.

I do the same at night, although beware of compression lows while you're sleeping - just because the alarm goes off doesn't necessarily mean you're low.

If mine goes off at night and I feel fine, I usually get up, move around for a minute (go to the toilet or get a sip of water) and scan again. The second scan is usually higher.

If it goes off at night and I don't feel fine, I've got some glucose tablets next to my bed that I can have without getting up. If you feel low, it doesn't matter what the reader says, you should treat and finger prick to confirm.

I've recently started keeping some small 200ml bottles of juice in the fridge for bad hypos. Each bottle is about 20g carbs, so if I'm having a nasty hypo, I have half the bottle and can have the other half later. It's quick and easy. Works well when going for long walks, too.

The mini Coke cans (150ml) and the Gluco Shots work well for nasty hypos. The latter aren’t cheap but work really well and are easier to get down than Coke as they’re non-fizzy, non-acid and very concentrated.

Oh I didn't realise that. Good to know. Thanks
I have my low alarm set at 5 6 - and I think the word alarm is inappropriate. I consider it to be an ALERT and respond to it according to what it is indicating. I associate alarm with things like fire - when it's a bit late to find out something is wrong. Just a thought.

Sorry you’ve been hit by a hypo hangover @hbinky :(

Well done for spotting it early and acting quickly.

But be encouraged - that grimness you felt just means your warning signs are tip-top. Once you can brush off a 3.2 hardly batting an eyelid you are on a bit of a slippery slope. Been there, done that, and it’s been a slow and difficult journey to get my warning signs repaired and maintained.

The fewer minutes you can spend below 4 the better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back