First Hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am type 2 on insulin.

On Saturday, we had a long journey, come the evening I was very clammy, nauseous, light headed and just feeling awful. I have not had a hypo before and stupidly had left monitor in my bag where we were staying. Whilst out I had a couple of pints of full sugar lemonade and juice to try and raise them. Got back to room and sugars were only 4, so am thinking this was definitely a hypo.

I understand about having drinks or something like jelly babies as this acts quickly, what do you carry with you that will then keep your sugars up?

Any advice gratefully received, thank you

Jelly babies or glucose tablets. That's an awful lot of carbs to consume for a hypo though so sounds as if you had way to much insulin for some reason.

Jelly babies or glucose tablets. That's an awful lot of carbs to consume for a hypo though so sounds as if you had way to much insulin for some reason.
Thanks, I am not sure what was going on. I hadn't had any insulin since first thing, we were due to eat, but was too sick hence the drinks. Just need to plan better for being out and about I think

The hot weather could be contributing @Archie'sWalker I had to have a vast amount of carbs to get my blood sugar up the other day. I like the Lift Gluco Shots (expensive but small and quick), Dextro glucose tablets, full sugar Coke, and Jelly Babies. I always take Dextro out with me, even if I’m only out briefly. In this weather I also take a Gluco Shot and an extra snack.

Hypos are horrible. I hope you’re feeling ok.

Which insulin are you taking? That might need adjusting if you keep having problems.

Hi @Archie'sWalker, thank you for getting in contact! We have a list of different food that can help you with yours hypos -https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/complications/hypos/having-a-hypo. Hope this helps. 🙂

In addition to carry hypo treatment (food), you must always carry your blood glucose meter with you when you are taking insulin. Hypos can be unpredictable so you need to be able to check whether you are feeling "off" due to low blood sugars at any time.
As well as when you go out, you need the meter and hypo treatments close to you at all time. Many of us carry our diabetes kit with us when we go to bed and have supplies of Glucose tablets or jelly babies in our bed side table (as well as around the house, in every bag, in every coat pocket and in the glove compartment in the car).

Sorry to hear you had your first hypo. Hope it is a long time till your next one but being prepared is key. Like @helli I have a small rucksack bag with all my diabetes kit in it and it goes everywhere with me, walking, running, horse riding/carriage driving, mucking out, fencing, socially to the theatre/pub/restaurant, shopping, by the bed when I go to sleep, by the shower (hot shower/bath particularly after exercise can cause hypos) and currently next to me in the lounge as I type this as well as obviously in the car with me when I travel. It has become second nature and a bit like not having your seat belt on, I realise very quickly that something isn't right when it isn't with me. In my bag I have Lift (glucose) tablets, jelly babies, dried fruit, my testing kit, my insulin, my phone and some money, plus a face mask these days although I appreciate they are no longer compulsory and of course my keys.

Not sure if you are aware of the rule of 15 for treating hypos, but this is an easy way of remembering how to treat without over treating a hypo. The advice is to eat 15g of fast acting carbs when you test and find that you are hypo (below 4) wait 15 mins and then test again. If you are above 4 at that time then you can have 10-15g of slower release carbs. I use dried fruit like prunes, apricots or figs for topping up once I am above 4. If you are still below 4 then you have another 15 g fast acting carbs and wait another 15 mins to test and continue until you are above 4 and then have the slower release carbs..... some people use a small biscuit where I use dried fruit.
I find it helpful to divide my jelly babies up into small hypo treatment portions, so that I am not tempted to scoff the whole packet and end up hyper. 3 jelly babies or 4 glucose tablets are about 15g carbs or a small 200mls can of full fat coke/lemonade or a little box of fruit juice. Then a couple of prunes or a fig to follow up for the extra 10g of slower release carbs or a small biscuit like a digestive. Hypos often trigger a hunger attack your mind is usually in a bit of a panic and it is very difficult to be disciplined in treating them, so having a system and your hypo treatments portioned out into little plastic pouches can really help you to manage them without going overboard.

I hope this incident is just a one off but please be prepared just in case. Many of us find that hypos rarely come one at a time and we often find ourselves treating a second one not long after. Hope you are feeling better. I remember the first few hypos I had and they were really scary. Thankfully my body doesn't panic so much now that I have had quite a few and they are much easier to deal with as a result.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: hats off to you people on insulin!!! I've only ever had one false hypo (spike and crash) which was bad enough, but mostly I just take my metformin, stay off the carbs and bob's your uncle! I truly respect the way you all manage going about your daily lives with so much extra to think about. I know that for many of you it is probably second nature by now, but you have my whole-hearted admiration xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back