First hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

XrayWill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago. I can't remember a thing but was found face down on my lounge floor by my daughter with a blood sugar of 3.8.
She was scared. My hb1ac was 138 when diagnosed. I can't remember even taking my insulin, let alone eating. Is this usual or unusual?

@XrayWill Sorry your first hypo was so unpleasant. Yes, some hypos can be very nasty, and can happen quickly. Hypos can also cause seizures in some circumstances.

It’s not unusual to feel forgetful and confused after a hypo. Hopefully your memory of what happened before it will come back. It would be useful to be able to work out what caused this. Did you inject and forget to eat? Inject twice by accident? Exercise and not take in extra carbs? So many possible causes.

3.8 is in the higher end of low, if that makes sense. It’s possible you felt worse because your body had been used to high sugars before your diagnosis.

Do you have a Libre? If not, one would be useful as you could then set alarms to warn you of dropping sugars. As you’re so recently diagnosed, you might want to talk to your team just in case your insulin needs adjusting. Sometimes our bodies recover temporarily and our insulin needs drop early in diagnosis.

Hi.

So sorry to hear you had a really nasty hypo so early on after diagnosis and especially with it being your first one!
What time of day was it and when did you last check your BG levels? It will be recorded on your meter if you are finger pricking and what was the reading at that time? Just trying to work out if this was caused by your bolus or basal insulin. Had you done any much exercise beforehand?

Have you contacted your DSN to discuss it as they may suggest some insulin dose adjustments.

It is not normal to lose consciousness with a first hypo and especially to have one within such a short space of time from diagnosis. Normally they start you off on very conservative doses to bring your levels down slowly and steadily. It makes me think that the advice I believe @helli was given at diagnosis, to induce a hypo in a safe environment is sensible as it gives you an opportunity to experience what it feels like whilst expecting it to happen and having someone to monitor you and step in to help you if necessary. This allows you to learn what your hypo signs are and how to treat a hypo.

Thankfully 3.8 is not dangerously low but dropping from the high numbers your body will be used to will make it feel 10x worse than normal and cause your brain to shut down to preserve vital functions. Of course you may have been lower than 3.8 and your liver could have been pumping out glucose to help you recover by the time your daughter found you, but we will never know.... unless you have a Freestyle Libre sensor? If you haven't got one, then do ask your DSN about getting one.... especially after this nasty incident.

So pleased your daughter found you but it must have been awfully scary for her. It is important that those around you know how to help you treat a hypo and to ring for an ambulance if you are unconscious.

What advice have you been given about hypo treatments and how to use them?
Always being prepared to treat a hypo is important and having hypo treatments stashed around the house as well as in pockets and particularly by the bed (it is extremely dangerous to go wandering around the house looking for hypo treatments in the middle of the night when you are half asleep and hypo.... especially if you have stairs) and in the bathroom.... hot baths and showers (particularly after exercise) are well known for causing hypos, so important to have treatment within reach for those situations.
Do you know how much hypo treatment to take, when hopefully you feel one coming on next time? Have you been told about the 15 rule? ie 15g fast acting carbs for a reading under 4 then retest in 15 mins with a finger prick (even if you have Libre). If levels haven't come back up, another 15g fast acting carbs and another 15 min check. Once you get above 4 then you can take 10-15g slower acting carbs like a small slice of bread with peanut butter.

15g fast acting carbs would be 4-5 dextrose tablets or 3 jelly babies or a small can of full sugar cola or a little box of orange juice. Be aware that you can absorb glucose quite efficiently through the cells in your mouth, so do make sure to chew any solid hypo treatments well before swallowing as that will make them work more quickly.

I appreciate that on this occasion you didn't have any opportunity to treat the hypo but hopefully with subsequent ones you will get enough sensory clues to treat them and not pass out. You do have to be alert to the threat of hypos and sub consciously learn to assess how you are feeling on a regular basis..... but it takes time and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back