First Hospital Appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharp00782

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

After being diagnosed with T1 a couple of weeks ago, I have my first appointment today at 2:30 with the diabetes team as an out patient. Any idea what I should expect? I have my "blood diary" with all my readings over last 2 weeks with me ready for them to crunch the data. I am hoping they will teach me to use the insulin properly so I can adjust per meal.

My numbers range from 10.9-12.7 when I first wake up to 11.1-24.4 before lunch and 12.9-31.9 before bed.

Also, before I ask them, as a newly diagnosed T1, am I entitles to a Freestyle Libre or a Dexcom?

Any idea what I should expect?
Blood tests, other basic tests (so they get a baseline): foot tickling, maybe an eye test, blood pressure. Asking you about what you tend to eat, what exercise you do.
Also, before I ask them, as a newly diagnosed T1, am I entitles to a Freestyle Libre or a Dexcom?
Yes, the NICE guidelines recommend all T1 should be offered a CGM. Freestyle Libre 2 and Dexcom One can also be prescribed by GPs.
I am hoping they will teach me to use the insulin properly so I can adjust per meal.
They might start that, but the courses (which teach that and other aspects) take a few hours.

The appointment may also be very time limited, so may well not include everything you might hope for.

I’d expect a first appointment to be mainly getting your background, what insulins you take and doses, maybe a tweak to doses but not much change or teaching. More of an agreement about where you’re at and where things need working on and then agreeing what follow up is needed. Eg a referral to a course or a dietician to help with carb counting.

I'd expect a first appointment to be your chance to ask any question, no matter how big or small, and explain the kind of assistance you want including medication and mental support.
Remember, the appointment is for YOU

Some NHS areas don't automatically prescribe Libre even though T1 due to budget constraints. My consultant and DN prescribed one for me as our area is quite good.

Had a great appointment with the Doctor. Went through my blood test results which apart from the Diabetes were spot on. They are putting me on the Freestlye Libre straight away which is great stuff. Adjusted my levels and also gave me basic information about when to take additional units. On top of that, the diabetes nurse called me again today to make sure all went well and is well. Cant fault my treatment.

Had a great appointment with the Doctor. Went through my blood test results which apart from the Diabetes were spot on. They are putting me on the Freestlye Libre straight away which is great stuff. Adjusted my levels and also gave me basic information about when to take additional units. On top of that, the diabetes nurse called me again today to make sure all went well and is well. Cant fault my treatment.
That sounds like an excellent first appointment @sharp00782 and reflecting the new guidelines with the Libre being prescribed straight away. That can help you to see the impact of certain foods and your insulin doses.

You will become an expert in the amount of carbs in what you eat, and it is worth starting to scrutinise packets and labels to get your head round that. There is also Google for ‘the amount of carbs in …’

Any questions that arise. Just ask. There is loads of experience to tap into on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back