First HbAc1 results - 80 mmol/mol Just how bad is this please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

On Tuesday I was called to the surgery following the results of a blood test for a non related issue. They noted my Glucose Plasma reading was 19.3 and carried out the HbAc1 test which I have just had a confirmation text to say I do have diabetes and my result is 80 mmol/mol
They said the diabetes clinic will be in touch for an appointment, I just wonder how bad this result is for a non diagnosed person, makes me wonder how long I have had it and what damage has been done.

Comes as a bit of a shock doesnt it.. I went for a routine blood test, next thing I had a call from the surgery booking me an appointment to see the Diabetic Nurse... my test was 75

That first appointment, the nurse may as well spoke Chinese, I didnt take any of it in. My next appointment, I was more prepared with questions. She has been so helpful.

Hope you get your appointment soon, at least you know now and can get on that right path.

Comes as a bit of a shock doesnt it.. I went for a routine blood test, next thing I had a call from the surgery booking me an appointment to see the Diabetic Nurse... my test was 75

That first appointment, the nurse may as well spoke Chinese, I didnt take any of it in. My next appointment, I was more prepared with questions. She has been so helpful.

Hope you get your appointment soon, at least you know now and can get on that right path.
Thank you Daisy, did you have to take meds or did she allow you to make life style changes to see if it could be managed by diet alone? I would like this option if possible obviously if it is still bad I will have to rethink. How far down the road are you and have you controlled it?

My first appointment when I spoke with the nurse about my diabetes was in May (when she was talking chinese to me!) she explained about carbs etc. I cut out white bread straight away, white crusty bread really was my downfall. Pasta and rice we have wholemeal anyway. Cut sugar out in coffee. She suggested a really good book, Carbs and Cals... lots of pictures in giving portion sizes and carbs and cals info. It really is a good book.
I was put on Metformin 500mg twice a day, touch wood I have been ok on them, they do have side effects... toilet side effects!!
Personally (with your results) I think it will be medication for you... but I dont know, can only go what she said on mine, and I asked if I was pre-diabetic, her reply was no, you ARE a diabetic.
I had my second appointment a couple of weeks ago, I had lost 10lbs, so definitely doing what I should be doing. But I still still need to lose more weight. I go back again this month, still thinking of questions and making a note of them.
Had my first Retinopathy last week, and thats all ok.
My next HbAc1 test will be in August...right before daughter and I go to Florida!! So really hoping my 75 count will have gone down somewhat. I am sure it will go up again when the next 3 month test comes along.

Easy to say, but try not to worry, you will get all the help from your Dr/Nurse, here, everyone is so helpful.

My first appointment when I spoke with the nurse about my diabetes was in May (when she was talking chinese to me!) she explained about carbs etc. I cut out white bread straight away, white crusty bread really was my downfall. Pasta and rice we have wholemeal anyway. Cut sugar out in coffee. She suggested a really good book, Carbs and Cals... lots of pictures in giving portion sizes and carbs and cals info. It really is a good book.
I was put on Metformin 500mg twice a day, touch wood I have been ok on them, they do have side effects... toilet side effects!!
Personally (with your results) I think it will be medication for you... but I dont know, can only go what she said on mine, and I asked if I was pre-diabetic, her reply was no, you ARE a diabetic.
I had my second appointment a couple of weeks ago, I had lost 10lbs, so definitely doing what I should be doing. But I still still need to lose more weight. I go back again this month, still thinking of questions and making a note of them.
Had my first Retinopathy last week, and thats all ok.
My next HbAc1 test will be in August...right before daughter and I go to Florida!! So really hoping my 75 count will have gone down somewhat. I am sure it will go up again when the next 3 month test comes along.

Easy to say, but try not to worry, you will get all the help from your Dr/Nurse, here, everyone is so helpful.
Sounds like you are getting the hang of it then.

The only reason I ask about Meds is there is a diet that I provided a screening form forward for, its suitable for type 2 diabetes but you can be on any meds and they say you need to ask to be taken off them to take part. I have had this approved but it was before this result came back. I am scared I wont be able to complete the diet if I am on metformin. Is that Insulin or something else. On the plus side I have gone from 14.4 to 13.13 since Tuesday just following a low carb, low sugar, low fat diet and exercising, I know its mainly water at the moment, but I would love to be given the opportunity to be monitored by just the diet alone to start. Will I have a finger prick test on my first appointment as then I will know if any of the dieting has paid off and may influence her thoughts on me having medication.

Actually its OK on those meds...

just read this

A type 2 diabetic must have the consent of the GP (in writing) before they can participate in the programme unless they are diet-controlled or solely taking metformin.

I thought my GP wouldnt approve it otherwise and she did but it was before the second test result (although my first one showed high Glucose too)

Also noticed you cant have it if you have liver problems so they may not prescribe it for me as I have potentially got a fatty liver, awaiting scan

Wow... you have a lot going on, sorry cant help on the diet you mentioned.
Regarding the finger prick, I was told not to test... at one time they used to give out Blood monitors along with the lancets and strips. Doesnt seem to be the case now, I know when Mum was diagnosed with T2, she was given a monitor straight away. I was given one by a friend, so just test every now and then... just for my own peace of mind really. At the moment I can be 5.7-6.00 the other day it was my daughters birthday, I had made a cake and iced it, had a piece... did my blood before and it was 5.9... 2 hrs later did my blood and it was 12 !!! lesson learnt (but I did enjoy the cake!)

Wow... you have a lot going on, sorry cant help on the diet you mentioned.
Regarding the finger prick, I was told not to test... at one time they used to give out Blood monitors along with the lancets and strips. Doesnt seem to be the case now, I know when Mum was diagnosed with T2, she was given a monitor straight away. I was given one by a friend, so just test every now and then... just for my own peace of mind really. At the moment I can be 5.7-6.00 the other day it was my daughters birthday, I had made a cake and iced it, had a piece... did my blood before and it was 5.9... 2 hrs later did my blood and it was 12 !!! lesson learnt (but I did enjoy the cake!)
I know that would be me (regarding the cake too) I have my sons wedding coming up middle of July so asked if I can have a glass of champagne and eat the meal they have organised for me, i was told, yes but dont get drunk! lol. Do you know if the meds you are on helps you eat a more normal diet or is it still a very strict low carb diet. I really enjoy jacket potatos but wondered even if a calorie counted one with lean ham and salad (no butter) would be allowed on meds?

Metformin is a medication which helps the body use the insulin it produces mere effectively, it doesn't miraculously make the carbs in the food you eat disappear so reducing carbs in your diet is also crucial. It is a matter of balancing your carb intake with what YOUR body can tolerate and that is where having a blood glucose monitor is a valuable tool to enable you to find that out. Testing before you eat and after 2 hours, the increase should be no more than 2-3mmol/l if it is then that meal or food was not too good for you.
All carbs don't seem to have the same effect on people so somebody could eat 20g carb if it was a slice of bread and it would be fine but not if they had 20g carb if it was rice. Having fats or protein with your carbs can help reduce the 'spike' effect as it will slow down the conversion of the carbs to glucose.

Metformin is a medication which helps the body use the insulin it produces mere effectively, it doesn't miraculously make the carbs in the food you eat disappear so reducing carbs in your diet is also crucial. It is a matter of balancing your carb intake with what YOUR body can tolerate and that is where having a blood glucose monitor is a valuable tool to enable you to find that out. Testing before you eat and after 2 hours, the increase should be no more than 2-3mmol/l if it is then that meal or food was not too good for you.
All carbs don't seem to have the same effect on people so somebody could eat 20g carb if it was a slice of bread and it would be fine but not if they had 20g carb if it was rice. Having fats or protein with your carbs can help reduce the 'spike' effect as it will slow down the conversion of the carbs to glucose.
Thank you, I sort of thought this was the answer. Can I ask if you can recommend a glucose testing kit just in case the clinic doesnt offer me one. I looked on Amazon and hadnt a clue, to be honest one that also test cholesterol would be good too

I would have said the GlucoNavii or TEE2 but the price seems to have increased recently but they are good monitors. Amazon has those so check the price before you buy.
Some people have been lucky in getting them from their GP but a rarity unless you are on certain medication which could cause low blood glucose (hypos). Metformin is not one of them.

Just received a call from the surgery, a lovely lady (not sure if she was a nurse but she was well informed) she has made me an appointment for my first diabetic clinic. Its 11th August as the nurse is on leave and then I am away so although a while off when I told her about my diet and lifestyle changes she said maybe its a good thing as the nurse will be able to see how much weight I have lost and my blood pressure etc. She also said as I am making all these changes she will request that another HbA1c test is carried out at the end of September to be able to check my sugar average. She also gave me my referal number and the clinic number for the Lipid appointment, she told me to give them until next week before calling to see when it is (just dont want it clashing with when im in Ireland 18th July - 31st July.)

I would have said the GlucoNavii or TEE2 but the price seems to have increased recently but they are good monitors. Amazon has those so check the price before you buy.
Some people have been lucky in getting them from their GP but a rarity unless you are on certain medication which could cause low blood glucose (hypos). Metformin is not one of them.
I am sometimes given tramadol for another condition but notice that it may cause low blood sugar in diabetics, is that just type 1 or would it affect me too. I havent had any for ages (touch wood) but I am allergic to Morphine and Codiene so its what the doctors give me if I have surgery pain etc.

It's easier to simply cut the carbs, proteins and fats, and useless calories overall, or go for a low GI food to slow down the digestion.

As to the rise, the only rule is the ceiling of 8.
If I'm at 4, there is no way I'd be getting upset if I rise more than 2, I certainly wouldn't have a target of 6.
A 7 wouldn't hurt, a rise of 4 to 8 is more than acceptable.
If I'd been exercising and was 3, I looking for any rise up to a 5.
These are all normal responses, chasing made up rules just adds stress, reduces my quality of life and is letting diabetes take control of me.

I am sometimes given tramadol for another condition but notice that it may cause low blood sugar in diabetics, is that just type 1 or would it affect me too. I havent had any for ages (touch wood) but I am allergic to Morphine and Codiene so its what the doctors give me if I have surgery pain etc.
I was talking about diabetic medication rather than other meds. Gliclazide is an oral diabetic medication that encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin and therefore people taking that are supposed to be prescribed a monitor and strips so they can test particularly before driving and of course people on insulin.

It's allegedly a side effect that can affect anyone.
It's unlikely you would have been prescribed a meter if using Tramadol.
I was prescribed a meter and strips when I was diagnosed, it was useful to check my reaction to foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back