First HBa1C since initial diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning all,
I was diagnosed with type 2 following a routine blood test in October 2021.
My HBa1C was 115. Quite scary at the time.
I cut back dramatically on carbs, particularly sugar, white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.
I upped my exercie level as much as my dodgy knee would allow, and I took my Metformin daily as prescribed.
I practiced time restricted eating to a degree, (with occasional lapses), and once or twice I had a severly restricted calorie day.
I would say I have been quite strict and I am feeling quite pleased with myself.
I wouldn't say it has been easy, but having a specific reason for changing my lifestyle made it much more acheivable.
I got my new bllod results last week.
HBa1C 53.
I am down to 13.5 stone, I was around 15 and a bit.My BMI is now within the healthy range. Generally I sleep better and have more energy, ( not all the time thouigh!)
My only issue is my feet are still a bit tingly in the evenings.
I intend to stick to my new way of life with occasional treats, but definitely not going back to the biscuits, chocolate, cakes and bread with every meal.
I'm hoping if I stick to this, my bllods will continue to improve and I might be able to reduce the Metformin.
Does anyone know if this is likely?
Thanks for readyng.
Have a great day.
Cheers
Nick

I'm hoping if I stick to this, my bllods will continue to improve and I might be able to reduce the Metformin.
When I went to see the nurse at my GPs, she said that if I could maybe reduce halve my dose of metformin if I could get my HbA1c down, so it's possible. I've not had my blood taken for the repeat HbA1c test yet though, so I don't know if what she said was real.
There's other people on the forum who have T2 and don't take metformin any more, so hopefully they can pitch in, but I'd say yes, probably.
Cheers, Sarah
PS great work on your weight loss and reduction in HbA1c.

When I went to see the nurse at my GPs, she said that if I could maybe reduce halve my dose of metformin if I could get my HbA1c down, so it's possible. I've not had my blood taken for the repeat HbA1c test yet though, so I don't know if what she said was real.
There's other people on the forum who have T2 and don't take metformin any more, so hopefully they can pitch in, but I'd say yes, probably.
Cheers, Sarah
PS great work on your weight loss and reduction in HbA1c.
Thanks Sarah, keep me posted on your progress. Cheers Nick

I was diagnosed in late august with 83, and put on two 500mg of metformin a day. In December it was down to 36 - “you got that down quickly,” said the GP when she called to discuss cholesterol. “I think we can reduce the metformin to one a day.”

I had no side effects from metformin so taking it didn’t bother me. In fact I was afraid lowering the dose would make my BG go up.

I was diagnosed in late august with 83, and put on two 500mg of metformin a day. In December it was down to 36 - “you got that down quickly,” said the GP when she called to discuss cholesterol. “I think we can reduce the metformin to one a day.”

I had no side effects from metformin so taking it didn’t bother me. In fact I was afraid lowering the dose would make my BG go up.
Hi,
Thanks for that. You have done really well, I hope I can emulate you. I like the sound of your diet. I have been doing similar, but confess to too much bacon and sausage. I will try harder.
Cheers
Take care.

Thanks Sarah, keep me posted on your progress. Cheers Nick
Hi @NickS , not sure if you were just being polite or not asking about my progress, but got my blood test results back today - HbA1c has fallen from 80 mmol/mol to 42, and I've lost 16Kg since October by having 800cals/day, and moving to 1500 cals now.
I asked about reducing my medication, and she said they'd review it in three months. I don't have any side effects from metformin or ramipril, so I'm happy to keep taking them both.

Well done there @Windy … that’s a great reduction. Did you get a test for fatty liver? Nice one on the cholesterol as well - I need to reduce mine somehow!

Did you get a test for fatty liver? Nice one on the cholesterol as well - I need to reduce mine somehow!
Thanks Harbottle. I did. Cholesterol in October was 6.4mmol/L, now 4.6mmol/L. I think the test for fatty liver was "serum alanine aminotransferase level" which was 92 iu/L in October, and is 30 now. My diet was shockingly shocking before, and very controlled now. I got a print out of my results from the nurse, let me know if it wasn't the right reading.

Well done

Morning all,
I cut back dramatically on carbs, particularly sugar, white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.
I upped my exercie level as much as my dodgy knee would allow, and I took my Metformin daily as prescribed.
I practiced time restricted eating to a degree, (with occasional lapses), and once or twice I had a severly restricted calorie day.
I would say I have been quite strict and I am feeling quite pleased with myself.
I wouldn't say it has been easy, but having a specific reason for changing my lifestyle made it much more acheivable.
HBa1C 53.
I am down to 13.5 stone, I was around 15 and a bit.My BMI is now within the healthy range. Generally I sleep better and have more energy, ( not all the time thouigh!)
I intend to stick to my new way of life with occasional treats, but definitely not going back to the biscuits, chocolate, cakes and bread with every meal.
Thanks for readyng.
Have a great day.
Cheers
Nick
Well done You must be delighted.

Morning all,
HBa1C 53.
Thanks for readyng.
Have a great day.
Cheers
Nick
Morning all,
HBa1C 53.
Thanks for readyng.
Have a great day.
Cheers
Nick
well done Nick

Hi nick. My hba1c was 115 on diagnosis in October 2021 and in January down to 55 and that’s with no medication. I would say if u stick to the diet you will be able to reduce your medication. Well done keep up the good work and be encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back