First HbA1c since diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyLum

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As per the title, had a blood test last week, results this week.

Went from 137 to 50

They by far and away exceeded expectations. Seems like this was the easy bit, the initial start. The hard work comes in keeping it within a decent range, not naïve enough to think I can keep it that low but within a decent range of that will do nicely.

Well - I should damn well hope so! ie that the treatment you've been dishing out to yourself has been the correct treatment. As you say, that was the easy bit ..... just the rest of your life to deal with now!

Fab result! Well done!
Hope such a dramatic drop in HbA1c didn't put too much strain on your eyes!
Have you started on insulin yet or are you still managing just with diet and oral meds?

Fab result! Well done!
Have you started on insulin yet or are you still managing just with diet and oral meds?
Hi just noticed your reply. I also have had a dramatic drop in Hba1c. How can it affect your eyes?

The very fine blood vessels in the eyes are fragile and can be quite susceptible to dramatic changes in BG levels as well as the lens of the eye changing shape due to the glucose concentration within the vitreous tissue thereby changing the focal length of the lens and causing blurred vision. The latter usually resolves over a few months and is temporary but the risk of permanent damage due to bleeding from the capillaries is very slightly increased by rapid reduction in HbA1c which is why we usually suggest a graded reduction in carbs to put less stress on those fine blood vessels. It is only a very low risk but we do have at least one member of the forum who suffered maculopathy as a result of sudden and dramatic HbA1c reduction, so it is worth taking it steady.
Diabetes is all about trying to find a balance. I know it is worrying when levels are very high and what damage that might be causing to your body but changing things too quickly can also risk damage. This is why we often refer to it as a "marathon and not a sprint".

Hi just noticed your reply. I also have had a dramatic drop in Hba1c. How can it affect your eyes?
I reduced my carb intake by quite a large amount all at once down to 70g per day and my near vision became awful, couldn't focus on anything properly. It took several months to return to anything like normal. It was only because I later read on here the reason. Blood glucose went down from 50mmol/mol to 42 mmol/mol in 3 months which was good but I hadn't realised that as it wasn't that high in the first place it would be an issue.

The very fine blood vessels in the eyes are fragile and can be quite susceptible to dramatic changes in BG levels as well as the lens of the eye changing shape due to the glucose concentration within the vitreous tissue thereby changing the focal length of the lens and causing blurred vision. The latter usually resolves over a few months and is temporary but the risk of permanent damage due to bleeding from the capillaries is very slightly increased by rapid reduction in HbA1c which is why we usually suggest a graded reduction in carbs to put less stress on those fine blood vessels. It is only a very low risk but we do have at least one member of the forum who suffered maculopathy as a result of sudden and dramatic HbA1c reduction, so it is worth taking it steady.
Diabetes is all about trying to find a balance. I know it is worrying when levels are very high and what damage that might be causing to your body but changing things too quickly can also risk damage. This is why we often refer to it as a "marathon and not a sprint".
Thanks for the info. That now makes sense as to how my vision is at time. Its greatly improved and had an eye screening just before Christmas which confirmed there was no damage so I better take it easy with the carb reduction. I didn't realise it could have adverse affects I just panicked and stopped eating anything sweet but still have potatoes and bread albeit not as much.

Fab result! Well done!
HI @rebrascora, the eyes seem ok so far, just waiting to sort out an appointment with retinopathy.

Still managing with diet and oral meds. Also getting in training for a 60 mile bike ride in May which is no doubt helping too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back