First HbA1c since diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
June 2nd.

I am Type 2, diagnosed diabetic as reading was 56 or 7.6 (I think, can't read my writing!). Since Feb I have lost 1.5 stones and still going to Slimming World so intend to lose more. On Metformin but just cannot tolerate the full 3 x 500 but fine on 2 x 500.

Have cut out the junk food in my diet and don't have anywhere near as much sweet stuff as I used to but am eating quite a lot of fruit.

What do you reckon?

I think I am doing the right things but as I don't test, don't really know.

Wish me luck.

Hmm (sticks right index finger in left ear and looks serious), 6.5% I think.

Andy

I'll say 6.3.

I've got my first 6 month check up on 14th, got to do a HbA1c in advance, dreading it.

I would be very happy with those guesses.

She will not give me the 7.6, 6.8 way as she says it is old fashioned. Thing is that everyone on here only gives those readings so I am going to have to find a way of converting one to the other.

Confession time: I had a Mars Bar cake at work today. And loved it.

I would be very happy with those guesses.

She will not give me the 7.6, 6.8 way as she says it is old fashioned. Thing is that everyone on here only gives those readings so I am going to have to find a way of converting one to the other.

Confession time: I had a Mars Bar cake at work today. And loved it.

This page has a converter at the bottom. They're supposed to give both values until 2011.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to.../Glycated_haemoglobin_HbA1c_and_fructosamine/

I think this is going to be a good one - 6.5%🙂

I will go with 6.2 - good luck x

The results are in ....

HbA1C - 40 which using the converter comes in at 5.8
Cholesterol down to 3.1

Nurse says to stay on same medication but still see doc on Monday when I am discussing all my meds and I do not need to go for a re-test until December!!

I am well chuffed.

The results are in ....

HbA1C - 40 which using the converter comes in at 5.8
Cholesterol down to 3.1

Nurse says to stay on same medication but still see doc on Monday when I am discussing all my meds and I do not need to go for a re-test until December!!

I am well chuffed.

That's fantastic Marg! You're in the 5% club! Brilliant news! :D Just looked back at all the guesses - we were all far too pessimistic! 🙂

I really, really want to come off Metformin - do you think my doc will agree??

Possibly not (metformin has other side benefits, such as statistically reducing the risk of heart attack). However, this is a decision primarily for you to take, so long as you're controlling your blood glucose fine without metformin.

Personally, I'm staying off the metformin for now (and am not on any other medication either).

Andy

Oh well, it will be worth a try. At least I will not even contemplate trying to take an extra Metformin and relax with just the two a day.

I am ridiculously happy - I want to do a Snoopy and skip around the office - how daft is that?

*skips off happily*

wow marg well done excellant results xxx🙂

excellent results marg, well done 🙂

It might be worth requesting another check in three months rather than waiting until December, and seeing what progress you have made. If you have improved still further then it would suggest that diet and exercise modifications are still having a significant effect and he may agree to a trial period without the metformin and possibly the simvastatin too. Personally, I wouldn't want my cholesterol level to go below 3.

WOW fantastic results, well done. Welcome to the 5% club :D:D:D

Wow - well done! 🙂

Brilliant results marg well done xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back