First HbA1c result since diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyRam

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today I had the result of my first HbA1c since I was diagnosed at the end of November. Back then it was 114. Today it came back as 52. I am pretty well over the moon about that... 😛

Thanks both - I have no real sense how that compares to other people's experiences, but in absolute terms it feels like a good new baseline

Yay!! Well done.

I’m waiting for blood results from last week. My HbA1c was 96 in January so I’m also hoping for a significant reduction.

Thanks - am taking insulin

Many congratulations on a really great result!

Looking back through my records it took me 5 months from starting on insulin to get down from 114 to 68 but that was without Libre which was a gamechanger and I have averaged about 50 since then. The lowest I got to was 45 but it involved too many hypos, so my consultant is extremely happy with low 50s, as I am sure yours is too.
Now I have Libre 2 with alarms which is helping reduce my hypos, I am hoping I might manage mid 40s again, but there is no real pressure to do so, as my TIR is really good and variability low, so very low risk even in the 50s.

It takes a lot of work so you deserve a big "WELL DONE!" and you have every right to be very proud of yourself.

Well done! Hopefully that will prevent any complications for you 🙂

Many congratulations on a really great result!

Looking back through my records it took me 5 months from starting on insulin to get down from 114 to 68 but that was without Libre which was a gamechanger and I have averaged about 50 since then. The lowest I got to was 45 but it involved too many hypos, so my consultant is extremely happy with low 50s, as I am sure yours is too.
Now I have Libre 2 with alarms which is helping reduce my hypos, I am hoping I might manage mid 40s again, but there is no real pressure to do so, as my TIR is really good and variability low, so very low risk even in the 50s.

It takes a lot of work so you deserve a big "WELL DONE!" and you have every right to be very proud of yourself.
Kind words, @rebrascora, thank you. I cannot imagine living with this for any significant amount of time without a libre to be honest, even though I know that there are lots of people on here have had diabetes for many years and have done just that. Initially of course I did the same, but the endless finger pricking was accompanied by fairly low fixed insulin usage and my sugar levels remained stubbornly high and so no real risk of hypos. I can really see how trying to get lower can come at rthe cost of too many hypos - so I am looking forward to discussing what a realistic target looks like with my team now that I have this baseline.

Well done! Hopefully that will prevent any complications for you 🙂
I agree with the great achievement for @JohnnyRam
Regarding the complication prevention, sadly one good hba1c is not enough. This is for life. The additional "risk" is Diabetes Burnout. Maintaining a low hba1c is not only discouraged due to the fear of hypos; it is also down to the mental power required to maintain it which can lead to diabetes burnout in the future which can lead to those complications you mention.
It is important to consider all of our body's health and find the level which is good for both our physical and mental health so diabetes does not control us.

Sorry, Johnny, I did not mean to derail your amazing achievement. Look after yourself and remember to continue to manage not control your diabetes.

No worries @helli, no derailment has ensued. I expected the result to be closer to 60 so it was a nice surprise, but life is there to be lived so it's not going to become obsessive. Currently I'm increasing my running and looking to understand how building that up affects my BG levels, hypo risk etc. If I go backwards a little at a later point so be it (while aiming to stay within a range that reduces risk of complications).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back