First hba1c after diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_0101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed just over 3 months ago, and my hba1c was ridiculously high when it was checked prior to being diagnosed. (111)
After some changes to my lifestyle, it has dropped to 53. Although I am happy with this, I am a little shocked it is not lower as my blood sugar levels since coming off insulin have not exceeded a 7.

I currently take Metformin twice in the morning and twice in the night. I assume from my recent hba1c results it may decrease.
Regarding my food intake, I do not count carbs, I however just judge it by eye and not go overboard with my portions which seemed like it was working, but it seems I may need to start counting carbs if I want to reduce my hba1c even further.

I have lost I believe 9-10 kg from walking 30minutes to an hour 6 days a week. While I was on insulin I refrained from joining a gym for fear of going hypo as I would occasionally get readings below 4, however I may give it a try now.

I have a ton more weight to lose, however at the very least I am happy I am making some progress.

Dropping that amount in 3 months is actually a fantastic result and you are less likely to get issues with your eyes by reducing more slowly anyway.
Don't forget the HbA1C is a three monthly average so would encompass time when your levels were high. Whereas what you are seeing from the finger pricks is now.
It would be a good idea to have an idea of how much carb you are having even if you don't want to change it at the moment. An HbA1C in another 3 months will give you a better idea of the impact of the changes you have made.

Well done @Daniel_0101, great result :D You are clearly on the right tracks and should be really proud of your achievements so far. Onwards and downwards!

That is a great result @Daniel_0101 congratulations! As said above reducing levels more gently and sustainably is the best approach and is kinder on the blood vessels.

An HbA1c of 53mmol/mol converts to an approximate average blood sugar level of 8.5 mmol/L. This is only a rough approximation and the HbA1c result will include some of time with higher levels at diagnosis and maybe a few rises after meals that testing at specific times isn't picking up.

Keep doing what you're doing - it's working.🙂

Last edited:
Well done you have done amazing result

Dropping that amount in 3 months is actually a fantastic result and you are less likely to get issues with your eyes by reducing more slowly anyway.
Don't forget the HbA1C is a three monthly average so would encompass time when your levels were high. Whereas what you are seeing from the finger pricks is now.
It would be a good idea to have an idea of how much carb you are having even if you don't want to change it at the moment. An HbA1C in another 3 months will give you a better idea of the impact of the changes you have made.
I actually did not know that, that makes a lot of sense, thank you.
I will start counting my carbs, thanks for the advice.

That is a great result @Daniel_0101 congratulations! As said above reducing levels more gently and sustainably is the best approach and is kinder on the blood vessels.

An HbA1c of 53mmol/mol converts to an approximate average blood sugar level of 8.5 mmol/L. This is only a rough approximation and the HbA1c result will include some of time with higher levels at diagnosis and maybe a few rises after meals that testing at specific times isn't picking up.

Keep doing what you're doing - it's working.🙂
Thank you, I will keep going at this rate.

Great result @Daniel_0101 - I would be delighted with that drop

Great result, well done. As most people will tell you, it’s what works for you.

I reduced my carbs by reducing the frequency and quantity of the real enemies: potatoes, pasta and rice. I halved the quantity and frequency thus (on the back of an envelope) reducing my carbs from those items by 75%. I also cut my toast at breakfast from two slices to one.

As with everyone else my food diary and finger pricks tell me what works and what doesn’t. My DN told me not to buy a meter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back