First gluconavii test - weird results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Got my gluconavii yesterday and used it this morning but the results were not what I was expecting!
First test at 10am (I hadnt eaten prior to this) reading was 5.9mmol/L
Had the following to eat - tinned tuna, lettuce, tomatoes, chick peas and one ryvita.
Second test 2 hours after finishing eating and the reading was 5.6mmol/L

I thought the second test was supposed to be higher than the first not lower - Can any of you more experienced people explain this?

I'm 72, diagnosed - type 2 3 months ago (51 on the hba1c blood test) not overweight

That is a pretty good result. It indicates your meal was tolerated well. I would say the readings are pretty well the same as they are within the tolerance allowed on blood glucose monitors.
The rule of thumb is no more than 2-3mmol/l increase or no more than 8-8.5 2 hrs post meal, it doesn't mean it has the be that and the smaller the difference the better.
Your HbA1C is not that high so those are good readings.
Sometimes people find morning readings are the last to come down and will stubbornly hover around 7 so yours is pretty good.
However look for trends and don't get too hung up on individual reading useful though they are as you may find the same meal on a different day may give slightly different result.

A couple of thoughts for you @PGW ....

As far as I am concerned there is no significant difference between those two results - they are both a six. The reality is that meters cannot measure blood glucose to the level of precision suggested by the number after the decimal point.

Interpreting one off results is fraught with difficulty unless the differences are greater than two whole units and reproducible. What it is best, at least in my opinion, is to test over the next week or two, say on waking and then around different meals on different days and write everything down. Then look for patterns. Look to see if particular food stuffs are giving bigger post meal rises than others. Look at your waking readings. What sort of range are you getting? You might expect your waking reading to be the most consistent and the range will give you an idea about how reproducible your meter really is.

That said, looks like your system can happily cope with the meal you had! Most of the carbs will have been in the chickpeas so the size of the portion will begin to give you a guide on the carb level that will not cause you problems. I emphasise "begin", you need more information before you can react confidently to the data.

Looks like your metabolism coped really well with that meal @PGW

Depending on the nature of your diabetes, you may have found that if you had checked at 1hr you may have seen a modest rise (some people with T2 have an impaired release of first phase insulin which can mean a short rise after eating before the second phase sets to work on the meal. Checking at 2hrs is in part to allow this to happen before checking the impact of the meal.

Having said that a single ryvita, tomatoes and some chick peas may have had their glucose impact slowed by being mixed among tuna and lettuce (depending on proportions), and it doesn’t sound like a particularly carb-heavy meal, so a small or negligible meal rise is perfectly possible if your metabolism still has a bit of oomph to it 🙂

Well thats a relief - thought I must be doing something wrong to get these results. I'll keep taking tests but at least I know that this particular meal seems not to cause problems.

Forgot to mention that I am on 2000mg of Metformin a day since I was diagnosed a few months ago.

Well thats a relief - thought I must be doing something wrong to get these results. I'll keep taking tests but at least I know that this particular meal seems not to cause problems.

As @Docb says, it’s important not to get too hung up on the decimal point illusion that meters present. They are incredibly useful tools, and very helpful for making observations, but are a bit more ‘ish’ than they pretend.

This from the ‘useful links’ sticky 🙂

BG meter accuracy
It can be quite disconcerting for members new to self monitoring of blood glucose to get different results from BG readings taken close together, even when carefully following manufacturers guidance (washing hands etc). All meters for sale in the UK should comply with the following ISO standards 95% of the time, which allows a degree of variation (and 5% of results can read anything at all). If in any doubt, or if a reading doesn’t match how you are feeling, you should check again with a fresh strip.

Permitted blood glucose meter variation, upper and lower bounds, from range of BG results

Got my gluconavii yesterday and used it this morning but the results were not what I was expecting!
First test at 10am (I hadnt eaten prior to this) reading was 5.9mmol/L
Had the following to eat - tinned tuna, lettuce, tomatoes, chick peas and one ryvita.
Second test 2 hours after finishing eating and the reading was 5.6mmol/L

I thought the second test was supposed to be higher than the first not lower - Can any of you more experienced people explain this?

I'm 72, diagnosed - type 2 3 months ago (51 on the hba1c blood test) not overweight
There’s nothing to be concerned about over those figures. My pre-breakfast bg is usually around 5.6 and 2 hours afterwards slightly less, even on those days when the breakfast has been one of porridge and prunes packing a good 40g of carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back