First ever Hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hii, so I had my first ever hypo last night, my reading dropped to 2 sometime during the night but it looks like it quickly shot up.

This happened around 4 or 5 am and I still feel awful. Like I've been hit by a truck. I've got heart palpitations, a headache, my neck is stiff and I'm exhausted.

I just hurt all over and I just want to know if this is normal? How long until I feel better?

I'm T2 and recently started insulin. I was warned hypos are a common side effect so I have hypo kits etc but I realise I've never really been told what to expect after?

Really sorry to hear that! Can you talk us through what happened?
Which insulin's do you have and when did you take them?
Do you have Libre or other CGM or are you just finger pricking?
Did you have hypo treatment next to the bed or did you have to go elsewhere in the house to get some? Did you follow the rule of 15 for treating a hypo or do you not know about that?

Sorry to hear that @BeckyC The aching all over is common after a bad hypo. It should improve over the next few hours and be gone by tomorrow morning. Did the hypo wake you? Sometimes when blood sugar goes very low, people can have a seizure or a kind of semi-seizure, where the muscles jerk and/or contort themselves, leading to pain.

Really sorry to hear that! Can you talk us through what happened?
Which insulin's do you have and when did you take them?
Do you have Libre or other CGM or are you just finger pricking?
Did you have hypo treatment next to the bed or did you have to go elsewhere in the house to get some? Did you follow the rule of 15 for treating a hypo or do you not know about that?
The insulin is abasaglar, I take 16 units on a night. I'm also on metformin and ozempic.

I have a libre (first one)

I do have hypo treatment by the bed but I didn't wake up with the hypo.

The rule of 15, is that where you repeat hypo treatment if no improvement after 15 mins?

Sorry to hear that @BeckyC The aching all over is common after a bad hypo. It should improve over the next few hours and be gone by tomorrow morning. Did the hypo wake you? Sometimes when blood sugar goes very low, people can have a seizure or a kind of semi-seizure, where the muscles jerk and/or contort themselves, leading to pain.
No, I didn't wake up, not properly anyway. I woke up briefly at one point because I was really warm but I fell instantly back to sleep once I stuck a leg out from under the duvet lol

Could I have had a semi seizure and not woke up?

If you didn’t wake up and your bg shot up without treating it then it sounds more like a compression low? Could you be coming down with something to explain your symptoms?

If you didn’t wake up and your bg shot up without treating it then it sounds more like a compression low? Could you be coming down with something to explain your symptoms?
I've had a slight wheeze the last few days but I'm asthmatic and we've been rearranging stuff so I figured it was just dust but maybe that's something? I've never heard of compression lows

No, I didn't wake up, not properly anyway. I woke up briefly at one point because I was really warm but I fell instantly back to sleep once I stuck a leg out from under the duvet lol

Could I have had a semi seizure and not woke up?

There’s no way of telling @BeckyC You might have a better idea if the aching you’re feeling turns into a cold or virus, but if it doesn’t then you could have had a hypo. Compression lows are a definite thing, but sometimes our own bodies can pump out some glucose in response to a low sugar too. Feeling hot can be a symptom of both high and low blood sugar, so that doesn’t give a clue. One thing I’ve found is that restlessness is also a sign of low sugar at night, as are strange dreams.

One thing I’ve found is that restlessness is also a sign of low sugar at night, as are strange dreams.
Just to illustrate how we can react differently, I usually find I have high BG when I experience weird lucid dreams. On the other hand I haven't worked out whether the dreams cause the highs or the highs cause the dream.

There’s no way of telling @BeckyC You might have a better idea if the aching you’re feeling turns into a cold or virus, but if it doesn’t then you could have had a hypo. Compression lows are a definite thing, but sometimes our own bodies can pump out some glucose in response to a low sugar too. Feeling hot can be a symptom of both high and low blood sugar, so that doesn’t give a clue. One thing I’ve found is that restlessness is also a sign of low sugar at night, as are strange dreams.
Strange dreams are the norm for me but I have noticed some restlessness the last few nights. I think I need to be ready to check if I stirr in the night

Did you finger prick test to confirm your hypo and how did you treat it or were you totally unaware until you woke up feeling unwell.

Strange dreams are the norm for me but I have noticed some restlessness the last few nights. I think I need to be ready to check if I stirr in the night

If you feel in any way strange at night, it’s always worth testing. By strange I mean very hot, very cold, very restless, whirring brain, etc.

If you feel in any way strange at night, it’s always worth testing. By strange I mean very hot, very cold, very restless, whirring brain, etc.
Whirring brain is a good way to put it, I've also been having night sweats pretty bad

Night sweats can be a hypo sign, but can also be caused by other things eg hormones, thyroid, etc. I’d focus on it being hypos for now, and if that’s not the answer then I’d speak to your doctor just so they can rule out other causes.

Can you post a screen shot of your Libre graph showing the dip?

The rule of 15 is where, when you are hypo, you eat/drink 15g of fast acting carbs like 3 jelly babies or 4-5 glucose tablets or a small can of full sugar coke or a small carton of orange juice or whatever your chosen hypo treatment is, wait 15mins and retest, always with a finger prick because Libre or other CGM are not reliable in these situations and will usually suggest your levels have dropped lower 15 mins after treatment due to the way they work, which can make you panic and eat more glucose and end up overtreating and going high, whereas a finger prick will usually show you have come back up above 4 in that first 15 mins. However, if you haven't, then you have another 15g fast acting carbs and wait another 15mins and test again with a finger prick until levels do come up above 4. You may then want to have a small 10g slower acting carb snack like a digestive biscuit although personally my levels would be in orbit if I had 15g carbs and a digestive biscuit. I usually just need 1 or 2 JBs (5-10g carbs) to treat my hypos.
Top tip when treating a hypo is to chew it really well if it is solid or swill the liquid around in your mouth before you swallow it, as the glucose will absorb quicker through your mouth than your stomach and your mouth is closer to your brain, so should work more effectively than just a couple of chews and then swallowing down.

With nocturnal hypos, it is really important not to rely on Libre and double check, especially if your levels have dipped sharply, because generally there is not sufficient insulin in your system to drop you slow suddenly unless you ate your evening meal very late and had bolus (fast acting/mealtime) insulin in your system when you went to bed, but it doesn't look like you are using a fast acting insulin with meals, just Abasaglar which is a basal (long acting) insulin.

When do you take your insulin? Just wondering if perhaps you are taking it too early in the evening and you are getting a peak of activity from it at the point when your body needs the least amount of insulin. Generally it peaks about 5 hours after injecting, so best to inject it as late as possible before you go to sleep if you are taking it on an evening. The other option is to take it as soon as you wake up in the morning, particularly if you see a pattern of nocturnal hypos and then by the following night there is just the tail end of it which poses much less of a risk of nocturnal hypo.

My first few hypos made me feel pretty rough for a couple of hours but now I can just eat a jelly baby and carry on with whatever I am doing and they hardly bother me at all.

Also worth asking, what level you have your Libre alarm set at? My low alarm is set at 4.5 to give me time to catch a hypo before it happens. Doesn't always work, but there have been times when I have reached 4.2 with a vertical downward arrow and 2 jelly babies (my hypo heroes :D ) can turn it around before I hit the red.

Hope you are feeling better this evening, but I would look at taking your insulin as late as possible, if you were previously taking it earlier in the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back