• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community

First ever hypo and its bed time

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you everyone. She's hypo again now so we are going to tweak lunch and see what happens this afternoon. Xx
You are sounding like a pro already.
Well done

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was just gutted I couldn't have a bite of the doughnut as I had already bolused it :)
Think how much DD is helping you to avoid temptation.

On a more serious note the tweaking will go on, and the honeymoon period does make this more necessary, but it will just be part of ‘normal life’ now.

Thebearcametoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Tweaking is normal.

If she’s having a lot of hypos and not much else has changed then it may be the basal that needs dropping but have a chat with your team. A lot of the early months of diabetes is data gathering so getting to know how she reacts to heat, exercise, certain foods etc and you will eventually reach the point where you know which foods to underestimate carbs on or which need earlier insulin or which activity will cause her to crash. But honestly even when you have a lot of data there will still be days where it all seems to go pear shaped.
And no problems with a doughnut. We would always try to have it with a meal (with some fat and protein) rather than on its own but she can eat anything.

Lilmssquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I never in my life dreamt that I'd become a virtual pancreas as a career! What a fine piece of biological engineering a real one must be. The body is truly amazing (and equally blooming stupid for destroying such a useful bit of kit!)

Ref the doughnut - I'm less worried about the carbs and more worried about the wrath of the dietician. She seems to think its me that undermines healthy eating because I run a cake business but in actuality, it's always been hubby, the ex hubby, my mother and my friend who is a paediatrician(!) who have been the worst culprits. I'm a well known bad cop on the food front in this house ;) but hoping the better diet will do me good too as it's keeping me away from the savoury snacks.

@SB2015 I'm just jealous as he'd never buy me a doughnut :(

@Thebearcametoo I think ultimately my biggest frustration will be the total randomness of the body's behaviour or me not being able to correctly triangulate all of the various influences on the blood glucose to figure out the correct dosing. I guess life will never be boring from now onwards.

Thebearcametoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Nah life is all about riding the wave of guessing the carbs in something and being spot on ;):D

You don’t have to prefect. It’s about being good enough for enough of the time that HBA1C results are all pretty good and she still feels like she has a normal life. The thing about diabetes is it’s very much about what’s happening in that moment. If there’s a hypo you treat it and everything else pauses for those few minutes. If you can stay mindful and in the moment of what needs to happen now instead of stressing about the whys and what might happen then it actually helps you cope with the rest of life’s ups and downs too.
Obviously pattern emerge and we learn which foods are more likely to be tricky etc but staying in the NOW helps keep everything in perspective. I have a very close relationship with my daughter because of all the time we sit together waiting for hypos to be sorted or dealing with all the big feelings about diabetes. I would love for her not to have it but our relationship is good because of how we’ve had to cope with it.
(Our dietician is tiny and cycles everywhere, teaches yoga and is the paragon on virtue when it comes to what she eats. She is however good at saying that no food is forbidden just look at portion sizes and frequency and to try to have meals rather than grazing. But she is a bit intimidating! :D)

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
She's not a very good dietician if she doesn’t allow your child to have the occasional treat. My daughter has never forgotten a meeting with the consultant 3 months after diagnosis, when the consultant said “if you want doughnuts, eat doughnuts!” Daughter has always said “I love Dr. R, she says I can eat doughnuts!” Of course she didn’t mean that it's ok to scoff food like that every day, but she was making the point that you can have a treat occasionally if you want one, as long as you count it and bolus correctly.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Exactly, Sally! One thing I think about diabetes in general occasionally and this is one of those times - it never kills anyone faster than a speeding bullet, does it? Hence whilst we may sometimes act in haste, we usually have more than enough time at leisure to repent afterwards, don't we? ;)

The other unfathomable thing about doughnuts generally, is of course how they are cooked. Deep fried - all adds to the scrumminess of the things ...... hang on a minutes, so it's a gurt lump of dough plunged into the deep fat - so how much of that fat has it absorbed whilst cooking? And so - how can anyone work out at what speed the carbs in the dough (let alone the jam) will hit their bloodstream?

Far better (diabetically and if I want a treat) IMHO to go for a fresh cream eclair EVERY TIME!