First Day

Dave2378

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Following routine blood tests, was told yesterday that I have diabetes. Which has come as a bit of a surprise.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Dave2378 .So good that you have joined the forum, there is plenty of help and support here.

I can still remember that big shock of first diagnosis although it was over 10years ago. It really knocked me off my feet, There is a lot of confusing information about what to do. We are all different and there is no ‘one size fits all’ and you need to find what right for you.

There are 3 main things to consider:
Firstly, healthy eating, and the right solution for you to lower your blood sugars, and if you are overweight, loosing weight will help a lot. Secondly increasing exercise, and thirdly medication which may be necessary depending on what your HB1ac readings are.

For me, a new way of eating, and increased exercise, plus some metformin has worked. As well as cutting out all the sugary things, I cut down on the carbs particularly the ‘white’ ones (white bread and flour,rice,pasta,etc ) and mainly eat fish, poultry, yoghurt, some cheeses, nuts and seeds, and have learned to love vegetables .

There is a lot of information to take in, but it is worth taking the time to find a sustainable solution that will work for you.
The Learning Zone tab at the top of this page has useful links as does useful-links-for-people-new-to-diabetes
Please ask any questions that you may have, and we will always try to help.

Best Wishes

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So we know your HbA1c test was greater than 48 then - but how much higher?

TiredOldGal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome. You will get lots of help here

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Dave2378

Goodness! That must have come as quite a shock! Do you have any diabetes in your close family? Have you been feeling under the weather recently? (tired, lethargic, minor scratches taking longer to heal, needing the toilet more?)

Giver yourself time to adapt to your new diagnosis, it can be a little overwhelming to begin with, and you may take some tome to come to terms with it. Some people liken it to a form of grieving. Diabetes is a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy.

Try not to be disheartened about your diagnosis, many people on the forum later reflect that their diagnosis became a catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life.

When it comes to managing your diabetes, it’s best to make changes to your menu and activity levels gradually - partly because they need to be sustainable long term, but also because very rapid and sudden changes to blood glucose levels are harder on the fine blood vessels, and changing things more gently will give your body time to adapt.

We have lots of friendly folks on the forum, from all backgrounds, and each with a unique diabetes story, and with an individual way of managing their diabetes. There is no ‘one size fits all’, but we can help you find your own way through the maze.

Keep asking questions!

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You already have had loads of info, so I will just encourage you to come back with any questions that you have. Nothing is considered silly on here.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Dave2378

It’s a huge shock being told you’ve got diabetes. I was only told relatively recently too so I remember that feeling well.

It’s great you’ve found this place as it’s full of advice and moderately sane people with tonnes of experience.

Anything more you can tell us, when you’re ready, will help people answer the questions you probably have so when you’re ready to share please do. And as for questions we’ve all got plenty of them and none of them are silly so ask them all.