First BGM result.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

indio02

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My Gluco Navii BGM was delivered this morning and after a bit of fiddling got it working. Had to stab myself 3 times to get enough blood

Did my first reading 2 hours after a latish lunch so was genuinely hungry. (Homemade chicken, bacon, lettuce & tomato baguette with greek yoghurt & blueberries).

The unit showed a reading of 6.7 mmol. Could anyone tell me if that's good, bad, normal. Should I try for lower? It's all a bit confusing!

Will be doing a test on waking, 2hrs after breakfast, before lunch and 2 hours after same again for supper. Does this sound about right? Again what sort of results should I be aiming for?
Thanks

I'm going to be a bit boring and say that one reading tells you very little unless it is crazy high or crazy low. You have simply got a fair enough reading.

What I suggest is that you get yourself a notebook and pen and start to keep records. Over the next few days take waking readings and some before and after meal readings. After a week or so you will begin to get some idea of how your blood glucose varies and the things that affect it, and things you might do to reduce it.

Do you know what your HbA1c was on diagnosis?

My Gluco Navii BGM was delivered this morning and after a bit of fiddling got it working. Had to stab myself 3 times to get enough blood

Did my first reading 2 hours after a latish lunch so was genuinely hungry. (Homemade chicken, bacon, lettuce & tomato baguette with greek yoghurt & blueberries).

The unit showed a reading of 6.7 mmol. Could anyone tell me if that's good, bad, normal. Should I try for lower? It's all a bit confusing!

Will be doing a test on waking, 2hrs after breakfast, before lunch and 2 hours after same again for supper. Does this sound about right? Again what sort of results should I be aiming for?
Thanks

Sounds a very good result.
Clearly you were fine with that meal.

I'm going to be a bit boring and say that one reading tells you very little unless it is crazy high or crazy low. You have simply got a fair enough reading.

What I suggest is that you get yourself a notebook and pen and start to keep records. Over the next few days take waking readings and some before and after meal readings. After a week or so you will begin to get some idea of how your blood glucose varies and the things that affect it, and things you might do to reduce it.

Do you know what your HbA1c was on diagnosis?

My HbA1c was 80 on diagnosis on 14th March. I was just feeling a little frustrated not being able to see how things where progressing on the BG front. Weightwise I can see and feel the loss. Will be keeping a diary of my results.

My HbA1c was 80 on diagnosis on 14th March. I was just feeling a little frustrated not being able to see how things where progressing on the BG front. Weightwise I can see and feel the loss. Will be keeping a diary of my results.
Having your monitor will give you the tools and the opportunity to tune your diet to what suits you for managing your blood glucose. Once you establish which meals are OK by testing before and after that meal then you can reduce testing and only test new things. It might seem a bit of a faff but weighing the carby foods so you can gauge portion size as it is easy to underestimate the quantity when just tipping something out of a packet or what a portion of some of the higher carb veg like carrots, peas and pulses.

The weight loss seems to have made a huge improvement!

I use that for BG, after so many readings I think about 3/4 weeks it will give you a Hb1Ac reading, top right hand circle. May be slightly different to GP reading but it gives you a very good idea.This group is invaluable,so helpful giving, great advice from people in the same position as yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back