First attempt at a basal test

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Soo doing me my first test this afternoon. I’ve gone down 3.3 mmol/L in 3 hours , so an 1mmol/L an hour and I’ve got 2 hours left on it. Does this sound too much of a drop? If I’m understanding what I’ve been reading then it is? Though I’m not sure if the drop or raise is at the end of the test ? Could easily wind up a tad too low if this trend continues.

So it's reduced at a rate of 1.1mmol/l per hours since you commenced ... but what did that reduce your BG to and how long is it now since you ate? Not sure how often you are testing your BG either cos you haven't said if it's every hour or every 2hrs cos you haven't told us very much at all to try and suggest anything, so far!

So it's reduced at a rate of 1.1mmol/l per hours since you commenced ... but what did that reduce your BG to and how long is it now since you ate? Not sure how often you are testing your BG either cos you haven't said if it's every hour or every 2hrs cos you haven't told us very much at all to try and suggest anything, so far!
Ok so I started at mid day, 5 hours after my last bolus and breakfast. I was on 10 and I tested every hour as I was so hungry all the time . Each hour I had come down by 1 mmol/l , so 1pm to 9, 2 pm to 8, and 3 pm to 7.

If I understand what you are saying for the Basal test then the Basal shot may be a bit too high? Ideally your BS should remain level during a Basal fasting test as the Basal is there to balance the background output of glycogen from the liver.

If I understand what you are saying for the Basal test then the Basal shot may be a bit too high? Ideally your BS should remain level during a Basal fasting test as the Basal is there to balance the background output of glycogen from the liver.
Yes, it’s something that my db has been asking me to as well as Barbera here suggesting that I do one. Having seen over the last week or so before my lunch that I started to drop much quicker than usual just before lunch and I’m having trouble getting my breakfast back down, I decided that I really must make the effort to get a test in. Seems I may be right but it will mean me raising my breakfast and dinner ratios. But I’ll sort one thing out at a time.

Sounds like your basal is too high. If you’re having regular hypos I’d reduce your basal and then repeat the test (wait at least 3 days first). If you’re not having hypos then I’d repeat the test to confirm the trend and then reduce the basal and then repeat the test until you’re staying stable.

Last edited:
Sounds like your basal is too high. If you’re having regular hypos I’d reduce your basal and then repeat the taste (wait at least 3 days first). If you’re not having hypos then I’d repeat the test to confirm the trend and then reduce the basal and the repeat the test until you’re staying stable.
Yes it certainly seems that. Thanks Lucyr

So I bought my basal down by 1 unit this morning. I had my suspicions so I’m not doing it again for the afternoon for now. I’m now doing a test this morning. Fingers crossed so far so good.

So this is what gabbed this morning. Started at 7am on 7.4 , peaked at 9.9 at 9.30 then rolled on down to 8.1 around midday. Looked like it was going to hold then I got extremely hungry and that darn sensor reading so waited and shot down to 6.3 by 1.30 pm . So guess I need to drop my basal another 1unit.

Attachments

• 8D50E7F3-0E49-40D2-8B5B-BE46FDD2052B.png
    8D50E7F3-0E49-40D2-8B5B-BE46FDD2052B.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 4
From that graph I would say your morning basal is about right, bearing in mind that it is having to deal with a rise caused most likely by foot on the floor/dawn phenomenon. It has kept you within range without dropping you much lower than your starting point. If you reduce it, your morning rise will get higher and spike you well above 10.

From that graph I would say your morning basal is about right, bearing in mind that it is having to deal with a rise caused most likely by foot on the floor/dawn phenomenon. It has kept you within range without dropping you much lower than your starting point. If you reduce it, your morning rise will get higher and spike you well above 10.

Yes I know Barbera, which is why I thought I’d be counteracting with a higher bolus. Lunchtime one is already very low . I’ve already said to my dbn ages ago that I thought I was having the foottothefloor thing but she insisted she couldn’t see it! I’m certain its there. I can go up whole numbers from waking up to getting up and getting breakfast in about half an hour. Anyways I’m talking to her again on Friday about possibly a pump. So watch this space.

If you only did your first basal test yesterday and then changed your basal dose this morning, you can't then do a basal test today, or if you did you shouldn't make decisions based on it. You need to leave 3 days between basal tests for the new dose to settle down first.

If you only did your first basal test yesterday and then changed your basal dose this morning, you can't then do a basal test today, or if you did you shouldn't make decisions based on it. You need to leave 3 days between basal tests for the new dose to settle down first.
Hi Lucyr I was already sure that my afternoon had come down. Todays was looking at what was happening in the morning. That is the only way I can do it by splitting it into sections ie morning, afternoon, evening and night because of my work pattern. Don’t worry I’ve read up alot about doing them . It’s quite surprising mind how it varies across different NHS trusts and other long time diabetics and professionals. There was one NHS trust down in Torbay that said you can eat an egg salad with no carbs if you get too hungry while carrying it out!

After the night I’ve just had I think my basal has dropped all round anyway due to this hot weather.

Hi Lucyr I was already sure that my afternoon had come down. Todays was looking at what was happening in the morning. That is the only way I can do it by splitting it into sections ie morning, afternoon, evening and night because of my work pattern. Don’t worry I’ve read up alot about doing them . It’s quite surprising mind how it varies across different NHS trusts and other long time diabetics and professionals. There was one NHS trust down in Torbay that said you can eat an egg salad with no carbs if you get too hungry while carrying it out!

After the night I’ve just had I think my basal has dropped all round anyway due to this hot weather.
Yes I understand that the first basal test was afternoon and this one was morning, but you can’t do a basal test on the day you change your basal dose. You need to give a few days for the new basal dose to settle first, and to have a normal day of eating first after missing a meal for the first test.

Oh gosh sorry Lucyr I completely misunderstood you. Oh don’t remember reading about 3 days but Yes that makes sense duh! Oh crikey lord knows how I’m going to fit doing this with work. . Think I need another rethink.

Yes I understand that the first basal test was afternoon and this one was morning, but you can’t do a basal test on the day you change your basal dose. You need to give a few days for the new basal dose to settle first, and to have a normal day of eating first after missing a meal for the first test.
Oh gosh sorry Lucyr I completely misunderstood you. Oh don’t remember reading about 3 days but Yes that makes sense duh! Oh crikey lord knows how I’m going to fit doing this with work. . Think I need another rethink.
Surely if you’re on Levemir, the three days to bed in doesn’t apply? (I thought that was just the super long lasting ones like Tresiba) I tweak my Levemir on a daily basis, depending on what I'm doing/have done that day. I can understand the leaving it a day to allow your body to adjust from skipping a meal the day before, if you’re being scrupulous, but with all the other variables, I wouldn’t think this would have enough impact to invalidate a test on its own.

I agree with both of you LOL

3 days 'to bed in' is still advisable best practice, yes. However with Levemir although yes you can see the result pdq, within 12 hours ish, I think a 1 day 'gap' to confirm that, is usually quite enough in practice. Hence it will take 6 days to do a full 24hr basal test - but there again I used to divide the 24 by 4 so only did 6 hour tranches, as that was more convenient for me and working 9 - 5.30 in an office.

The 6 days don't need to be 'this week' though - 2 days this week, 2 next, 2 the week after. Doesn't matter it takes 3 weeks - what's the rush considering we're dealing with the whole of the person's future life here!

(No way of course would the doses stay the same for the whole of a person's life and because of that very thing - the sooner the person gets used to basal testing and tweaking doses, the better!)

For me basal testing isn't really planned. I regularly skip meals just because I don't feel hungry or I don't get the opportunity and I rarely eat at set times anyway, so with the help of Libre I can just see when my basal is holding me nice and steady and when it needs a tweak, without having to actively think about basal testing. It has just become another intuitive part of my diabetes management which is quite fluid rather than "calculated". Essentially I respond to my Libre trends/graph taking into consideration when I last ate. Most of the time I don't really carb count anymore, I just inject a bit of insulin up front and then correct after if necessary. It takes a lot of the mental toll out of my diabetes.

I agree with both of you LOL

3 days 'to bed in' is still advisable best practice, yes. However with Levemir although yes you can see the result pdq, within 12 hours ish, I think a 1 day 'gap' to confirm that, is usually quite enough in practice. Hence it will take 6 days to do a full 24hr basal test - but there again I used to divide the 24 by 4 so only did 6 hour tranches, as that was more convenient for me and working 9 - 5.30 in an office.

The 6 days don't need to be 'this week' though - 2 days this week, 2 next, 2 the week after. Doesn't matter it takes 3 weeks - what's the rush considering we're dealing with the whole of the person's future life here!

(No way of course would the doses stay the same for the whole of a person's life and because of that very thing - the sooner the person gets used to basal testing and tweaking doses, the better!)
Ah I thought that was the case with levemir. But Now im confused about being able to do this. There just no way I could do it over a week or two as I’m having to adjust my basal for physical work at the weekend where I do more and all day possibly for both days anyway, I also get very stressful and emotional days pretty regularly due to a daughter with severe mental health problems so I can’t find a basal base for want of a better word to work from for long enough. So for that day my basal won’t be enough and by the next day I adjust up for the stress and she comes down so I don’t need it . This why I find it so difficult to fit it in. Even if I say planned a weeks of no work to do it , I can guarantee that I’ll be making calls to emergency services , social workers etc on at least two or three days sometime more.

For me basal testing isn't really planned. I regularly skip meals just because I don't feel hungry or I don't get the opportunity and I rarely eat at set times anyway, so with the help of Libre I can just see when my basal is holding me nice and steady and when it needs a tweak, without having to actively think about basal testing. It has just become another intuitive part of my diabetes management which is quite fluid rather than "calculated". Essentially I respond to my Libre trends/graph taking into consideration when I last ate. Most of the time I don't really carb count anymore, I just inject a bit of insulin up front and then correct after if necessary. It takes a lot of the mental toll out of my diabetes.
Ooh wish I could do that. I get too hungry and as a skinny bean I need me calories. But had to take advantage of the rare time I had to do bits especially the afternoon just to confirm my suspicions when for a few days I had to have lunch later than usual and noted the rate that I was coming down after my breakfast bolus had cleared off before I got my lunch in 2 hours later while sat of my backside doing paper work and extreamly ravenous lol.

Ooh yes and as I was xpecting and as you mentioned yesterday Barbera , I’ve got to up my breakfast bolus by half to one unit . But at least I didn’t whoosh down after lunch like I had been doing lol.

But come Saturday it’ll be all change again .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back