Finger pricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shazzer11

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have recently started checking my bloods by finger pricks and the backs of my hands are bruised is this normal

Are you using the fingertip, just to the side of the pad is a good place, check your pricker is not set too deep.
If you are using the back of your hand where there are lots of veins then you would probably get bruising.
There are some YouTube videos about technique.

I am using the fingertip at the side of the pad. It is set high as otherwise no blood comes out

Doing it right but can't see how it relates to back of your hands being bruised, never experienced that in last 40 years anyway. If concerned see your Dr.

Not heard of that either @Shazzer11

Are the bruises painful to the touch? Or just discolouration?

Hope your Dr is able to offer some reassurance.

I am using the fingertip at the side of the pad. It is set high as otherwise no blood comes out
To avoid using the highest possible setting, I always warm my fingertips before pricking. I find it helps to "cuddle a cuppa". This brings the blood to the surface so the prick does not need to be so deep which can lead to bruised fingers (although not on the back of your hand)

Thanks everyone for your replies it's very kind.but just want to say I'm not worried and it's not painful. I will post a picture tomorrow also thanks for your advise

I think I know what is causing the bruising I am squeezing my fingers quite hard to get blood. This should not be done. Lesson learned. I won't squeeze them and see how it goes. Thanks everyone

I think I know what is causing the bruising I am squeezing my fingers quite hard to get blood. This should not be done. Lesson learned. I won't squeeze them and see how it goes. Thanks everyone
You shouldn't need to squeeze hard, in fact that could compromise the result.
Making sure your hands are warm and gently massage your finger towards the tip before pricking, gentle pressure just behind the prick should give you the small pinhead size drop of blood needed for the strip, it is only about 5 microlitres and that is a small amount. I have been known to get 100x that amount from a fingerprick. I used to need to get blood from my finger at work for experimental purposes.

The first drop is fine it's the second drop. I will make sure they are warm and massage them from now on thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back