Finger pricking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am not sure what to do and wonder if someone who has a gentle touch with words can help.A close friend of mine Type 2 is a tiny bit hung up with finger prick numbers ( I sort of understand now why many GPs don't encourage it). She watches her carb content and has an Hba1c test coming up soon. All her numbers have been below 6 and she was very happy. Today she contacted me and told me she tested and it was 7. I haven't got back to her yet and not too sure what to say, other than 7 is fine and also the Hba1c is an average of 3 months so one 7 shouldn't make much difference. I think that is correct but wanted to check before I said anything and made a!monimental error. She is so upset and won't join this forum. Thanks in advance.

Hi there
4 - 7 is within the normal range for finger pricks and is basically for her own testing of foodstuffs, before food and 2 hours later, as long as it is below 8 after 2 hours, all is good - over 8 and she needs to check her carb intake to reduce portion or find an alterative.
The main blood test is for past 3 months and will give her diabetes status in return.
It sounds as though she is keeping within range, so she shouldn't have anything to worry about. 7 is not a spike, it is in normal range. Hope this helps.
PS Tell her she can join but just to read, she doesn't have to post - and she can check out the Learning Zone which could be of a great help to her

A normal range is 4-7 so 7 falls at the top end but is still normal

Hi there
4 - 7 is within the normal range for finger pricks and is basically for her own testing of foodstuffs, before food and 2 hours later, as long as it is below 8 after 2 hours, all is good - over 8 and she needs to check her carb intake to reduce portion or find an alterative.
The main blood test is for past 3 months and will give her diabetes status in return.
It sounds as though she is keeping within range, so she shouldn't have anything to worry about. 7 is not a spike, it is in normal range. Hope this helps.
PS Tell her she can join but just to read, she doesn't have to post - and she can check out the Learning Zone which could be of a great help to her
Thanks. She is so upset. Good idea about reading the posts will give that a go.

A normal range is 4-7 so 7 falls at the top end but is still normal
I am not sure why she thinks 7 doesn't fall into a normal range or where she finds this info. I wonder if she is trying to keep it as low as possible. Is that a keto diet? The forthcoming Hba1c is her third one. Early days

I am not sure why she thinks 7 doesn't fall into a normal range or where she finds this info. I wonder if she is trying to keep it as low as possible. Is that a keto diet? The forthcoming Hba1c is her third one. Early days
Are you sure that her GP hasn’t given her wrong advice of BG numbers if she thinks being at 7 is bad

keto diet is low carbs, full fat and high protein mainly, I go between that and low carb, eating some foods as always but using cauliflower as rice or mash and courgette as noodles etc , though I've discovered other alternatives to both recently - eg konjac rice and naked spaghetti. As long as you keep your carb count lower you will reduce your BG and lose weight if needed, plus exercise of some kind is beneficial too..

Are you sure that her GP hasn’t given her wrong advice of BG numbers if she thinks being at 7 is bad
I don't know and she gets too upset even talking about the whole thing

keto diet is low carbs, full fat and high protein mainly, I go between that and low carb, eating some foods as always but using cauliflower as rice or mash and courgette as noodles etc , though I've discovered other alternatives to both recently - eg konjac rice and naked spaghetti. As long as you keep your carb count lower you will reduce your BG and lose weight if needed, plus exercise of some kind is beneficial too..
Thank you. I might drop that in but am a little worried she will end up not eating and introduce an entirely different problem. I jyst feel so sorry for her that she is worried about that 7 return

I don't know and she gets too upset even talking about the whole thing
Hopefully her HbA1C will have come down as your saying her numbers are good

Perhaps when she has a Hba1c in the normal range she will feel better - you don't say when she is testing, but if usually under 7 that is normal. One test a tiny bit higher than the usual number will make absolutely no difference to the Hba1c result.
I do wish that GPs would assist with information about testing rather than leave people floundering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back